May 15, 2014
Gaffney, SC
I added the cya several days ago tied in pantyhose & hanging from a float while the pool was still filling, had a bad pump and didn't get the filter running until yesterday 1 pm. The filter has been running for 23 hr so far. I squeezed the cya in front of the return and it ripped several nice sized holes in the pantyhose spilling the some granules on the bottom of the pool. I hooked up the vacuum and sucked it up as i was scared it might mess up the liner.
There is still a pound or maybe two in the sock that hasn't dissolved yet. My question is at what point can my wife and kids get in this pool. Will it be o.k. If i take out the cya while we are in it, or do we have to wait.

Also with an above ground and vinyl liner should i try to get my calcium up or is it o.k. Where it is. Any other advise also would be much appreciated.

Happy memorial day.
Thanks

(HAVEN'T PUT ANY CHEMICALS IN YET TODAY TO GET MY FC UP)
fc .5
cc .5
ph 7.5
ta 110
ch 50
cya 25

Last edited:
I've spent many an hour in the pool while my cya in a knee-hi was dissolving in the skimmer basket. Your calcium is just fine-usually where mine is for 5 years now.

FC UP!

As far as I know, you can swim with the CYA sock in the pool.

No, with a vinyl liner you don't need to worry about your CH. you might think about shipping some of that water to some of the others here with high CH problems!:grin:

You do need to add FC, all the way to your target CYA level. Once it starts dissolving, you treat your pool as if it's already in there.

I read where it says cc over .5 should be slammed. Do i need to do that since i am at .5 now or am i fine.

Also should i add the bleach based on my current cya level or on the anticipated level once it dissoves.
Thanks

If your at 0.5 your fine. Rule of thumb on the CC test. If it takes one drop to turn back to clear your fine. If it takes more than one drop you've got something going one that would need attention.
Once your CYA is starting to dissolve base your FC on the range you targeted for. Don't bother testing the CYA level for a week. Just assume it's there until you test for it. ?

We swim with a CYA sock on the skimmer.. I just use a plain old white sock tied off at the top. Nothing special.. I added 2lbs the other day and it's not even 50% dissolved yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.