DO I have Mustard?

Makdaddy

Jul 23, 2012
Springfield Illinois
Good day
Last year at the end of the season I was fighting algae that looked like brown streaks . almost like dirt.
Got it done and closed the pool
Open the pool , Nice clear water and my levels
Ph 6.8
FC 12
CYA 64
CC 1 OH OH

So like 3 hours after the pool is open I see around the edges a little brown coming back. ****
So I Slam to FC 25
I added for Walmart PH stabalizer to bring up the PH , but didnt do that till after I slamed so I know the readings will be off If I tried to get one.

So we check the FC 2 times yesterday and last eve and it was @ 25
Checked it this morning and its @ 29 (I have my SWG running 12 hours. Plus I added a floater of Chlorine tablets) (So Im not sure how it went up that much?)
CC was .05 Better

I am just wondering if this is mustard algae and I need to shock higher level? Going to brush it all down this morning also

There is no way to be sure. Personally, I'd treat it as normal algae this time, and if it comes right back then treat it as mustard algae next time.
Will do this round, But seems odd that it came back with a FC of 12 when I opened

Are these streaks only located on the shady areas of the pool?

Not really they will go out to the middle pf the pool as well. But I will take note before I vacuum today

OK it seems to be everywhere in the middle along the sides.
I am vacuuming now and will continue slam process
If it comes back I will slam at Mustard levels and see what happens

Algea.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140526_131506_358.jpg
    IMG_20140526_131506_358.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
OK
So FC was 27.5 last eve with CC at .05, today CC is almost zero, when we add the 5 drops it barely changes color.and FC is at 25
No return of Algea, Pool is clear
I slowed the pump to 1/2 horse (Low) will let run thru Friday 24hrs, still running the SWG for 18 Hrs, will lower after CC gets to zero
Will check FC and CC tomorrow nite hope to get it to zero.

Cardano
I think Mustard algae will grow more in the shaded areas

So this morning I see a little bit coming back. a spot here and there.
FC was 22 and the CC was down to zero last eve.
can the algae creep back in with the CC down?
Should I start the slam at 44 for mustard algae? Or bring it back up to 25 for another day or two?
its been over three days at FC 22 to 25

Wow Do I feel like an ***
So
With all said and done we got the stairs in the pool and examined the brown streaks
Turns out to be sand or the zeobest from the filter
My son validated that it just went poof when he got close to it, underwater. he couldnt really collect any of it
Reviewing all of the circumstances it seems to make since.
No collection on the walls, vacuumed up easy, seems to appear when pump is on low vs high. Water was always crystal clear. it never felt slimy.
So Im relieved, going to let the Fc stabilize to normal levels.
Im not sure why my CC was at 1.0 when I started ?
and I will need to look at the laterals on the filter this fall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.