In-step return/jets quote, too much?

CHP

May 8, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Our pool builder has quoted us $1000.00 to install jets in our acrylic/fiberglass walk-out steps for our vinyl inground pool. The pool has not been built yet, we are planning on having two sets of steps in our layout. Is this price reasonable?

Thanks

Hi CHP,

How many returns all total are you planning on and are the returns loop or paralell?
actually, there isnt much material cost involved. But depending on if the returns are Loop or Paralell may be driving the cost due to additional material and labor for a paralell return.

Are you scratching your head yet?

A Loop retun is is 1 actual return line from filter to pool with all of the return "legs" connected to that single line.
This will certainly circulate the water and that's alll. A Loop does not allow you to turn any of the returns *or jets* on or off if you want to or play with the water, which is fun! With a Loop, they are all on. Should you have a leak in a return, you woud not be able to simply turn off that particular return until such time as it could be fixed.

The Paralell Return set up means that each return or jet is plumbed to the equipment pad individually and will *or should* have a valve on each one.
This would give you the most flexibility to "play" and create water currents in the pool, isolate a leaky return, and control the jets to improve skimming efficiency. Fun Stuff!

If cost is an issue with paralell set up, you might consider a 3rd option to present to the PB
Seperate all of the returns into 2 sets with 1 valve contorlling 2 returns. This would give you a reasonable amount of flexibility and save a little money on materials and labor.

Re the step jets. You want at least one of them in your swimout and steps. What is going to happen, is that a lot of stuff floating on top of the water will get trapped in the steps and swimout and you will have to remove it manually with a brush and net every day. A jet in the swimout and steps will blow that stuff out of there and keep them much cleaner.

Hope this helps,

If I have 1 regret about my pool, is that I didnt go for a jet in the steps and its too late now to add one.

That is fairly high for two sets of step jets on a new build. Builders tend to try to keep the main bid as low as possible so they are competitive with other bids, and then pad the options so they can make some money.

Hi Divin Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I have done so much reading on-line (and on this site in particular) regarding the ins&outs of pool installation & its functioning that I actually understood right away what you were asking. To give you a quick idea of our "future" pool, it will be 20X40 rectangular vinyl inground with 8ft deep end; oversized cartridge filter, intellipro vs pump, heat pump (oversized if possible), swg, solar cover, 2 main drains & 2 skimmers on seperate intake lines (main drains not tied in to skimmers), and 4 seperate returns plus an additional one for an automatic cleaner. So we're now asking for step jets for the two sets we will install (one in deep end, one in shallow end). I want the returns for the step jets to have a union/valve from the pump so we will either run the step jets, or the 4 pool returns; not run both at the same time. Does this make sense? The step jets will only run a few hours per day, mainly to aid in cleaning the steps, and for fun while sitting in those areas.

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a great set up you're going to have! I can tell ya now, you are going to LOVE that pump you picked out!

Fully understandable about the jets and 4 returns. I would recommend a 3 way valve to connect the jets to the returns. Very simple deal. This valve will allow you the option to have full capacity of Jets or Returns AND give you the flexibility to set the valve somewhere in the middle so that you can have both the returns and jets working at the same time, although to a lesser extent of flow. - Well now that I remember that Pump, you can just kick up the RPM and not have to worry about reduced flow.. you could enjoy full effects of whatever you want to.

Here is why I suggest that. It would be entirely conceivable to me, to sit on the steps with the jets going, and at the same time, enjoy one of those water fountains that connect to a return. Speaking from my own experience, I cant do that, and I wish I could. (Didnt think of that scenario at the time acually.)

In any case though, I know you are going to love that pool. Sounds like a killer set up!

Thanks, good to know that after staying up many a night 'till 4 am researching and planning this pool, that I'm actually on the right track to a good pool build! And glad you agree with the pump. My main concern was to have a quiet one for its placement will be close to our neighbours property (he doesn't have AC so he keeps his windows open, though we each have 2 acres so it's not right next to his window!). A quick question regarding the pump, would you know if there is any difference between the P6E6VS4H-209L and the P6E6Y4H-209L? asides from the Y4H being an older model with only 4 settings, instead of 8? I'm not sure which one in particular our PB was referring to in the quote so I wanted to do a bit of research on them to know which of the two I wanted.
Thanks again for boosting my confidence with my pool design (hopefully we can break ground early August)!

The older model doesn't have a timer. The older model hasn't been made for a while, it is unlikely you will be getting that one.

If you are controlling the pump from a Pentair automation system there is no difference between the two models that you care about. For stand alone use, the newer model is nice because it includes a timer. The 4/8 speed thing is unimportant, they both have the same set of dozens of speeds to choose from. The 4/8 thing is just how many pre-set speeds you can setup. But no one should every want more than 4 anyway.

Forgot to mention, for the moment we will not be purchasing the Pentair automation system; we wanted a nice classic looking pool (or at least as classic as we can get away with it being vinyl), no slide, no waterfall, no bells & whistles (much to the dismay of our two young boys). So we are hoping we could get away with the pump's settings alone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.