waiting on filter vs. using flocculant??

khutch

May 16, 2014
Sale Creek, TN
Hey there... new to the forum here. My husband and I have gotten tired of blindly throwing away hundreds of dollars at the pool store (and not understanding why we needed the chemicals they recommended), and I found y'all during a google hunt that I did to find a better way. Anyway, I have been slamming our pool for the past five days. We also had to partially drain and fill our pool TWICE to get out CYA down. Now it is at 40. I have not lost any FC for the last six tests (two days or so) and my CC has stayed under .5. BUT our pool is still cloudy. We have a sand filter and a huge pool, so I know it will take some time. But my question is, would there be any use for a flocculant, or would it mess with my chemistry? I am very happy with the numbers and I'm still slamming. Just want to get the thing clear. Here are the numbers from this morning:

FC 15
CC .5 (or less, I was using the more concentrated sample, prior to that I had been getting .2)
PH 7.7
TA 150
CH 130
CYA 40

Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Your situation is typical after a SLAM, especially if algae was present. I would recommend adding either DE or cellulose fiber to your sand filter to help filter out these particles quicker. Both products perform the same function although I personally prefer the cellulose fiber because it is a bit safer to handle and I have first-hand experience using it. With either product, the process of adding it to your filter is the same, as described here: Add DE to sand filter.

You can try floc if you want, but only if your system has the ability to vacuum to waste. Floc costs money, doesn't always work, and tends to be a fair bit of effort. When it works it does speed things up dramatically. Vacuuming to waste is important, otherwise the floc can clog up your filter.

Thanks so much for your responses. We are able to vacuum to waste, and my husband has successfully used flocculant before, so he just keeps asking "do you think we should try flocculant?" We might look into getting cellulose fiber. The DE sorta scares me a bit. I was just afraid that my chemistry would get messed up if I added the flocculant. But the pool is slowly clearing, so maybe we'll just be patient. Thanks again for your input.

I do not believe any chemistry problems would result from using floc. It's biggest drawback is that it quite often doesn't work, and can even make things worse.

If you are seeing even just the LITTLEST bit of daily clearing, I would leave things alone and let your filter do it's job.

Let us know how it turns out. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.