Just Signed Up, Got the Crazy looks at Costco Yesterday!

Scice77

Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2014
Central Jersey
Hey Everyone, I'm just getting on board now.

Got my K2006 test kit this week, took the cover off Saturday and got my first readings yesterday. My free chlorine was at 0.6 and my CYA was at 80. So my calculations were to add 11 (121 Ounce) Costco size jugs of Clorox to shock to FC 31 (sometimes the 121 ounce size shows up on the Pool Calculator drop down, sometimes not).

I'd like to start using bleach as my exclusive source of Chlorine. I don't want to use pucks anymore. Do my calculations seem correct, I just want to make sure.

I sure did get some looks at Costco with 6 cases of Clorox and the expected "dead body cleanup" joke from the Cashier. I have 5 bags of Baking Soda on standby as well as 5 boxes of Borax.

I have gotten so much great info from this site already, I figured it was time to sign up and go full BBB method. I plan on checking the TA and pH today, I should add the baking soda first to raise both before the Borax, right? Do I seem to be on the right track? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

Use PoolMath to get the 121oz jugs. The Pool Calculator hasn't been updated.

16 jugs should have gotten you to 31ppm FC, but if you have algae, most of the chlorine was probably gone within a few hours. You need to keep testing frequently to keep up with chlorine consumption when you have algae.

Baking soda and borax aren't always needed. Only if test results indicate low TA for baking soda, and only if you need to raise pH without raising TA for borax.

Run your full suite of tests and post the results and we'll talk you through it.

Thanks for the welcome and quick replies. Well after adding the Clorox last night, I just took a reading this morning.

My FC was 38 (I was shooting for 31) after adding the 11 --121 oz bottles of clorox.
My PH was at least 8 (indicator on kit was maxed out).
My TA was over 700 (is that possible) I just kept adding drops and the tube turned yellow from green, but never red. I stopped at this figuring the shock last night shot that number up.
I'm not sure about draining yet to lower CYA, I figure I'll consider that once I get through with all the start up backwashing and then get a reading to see where I stand. Pool is still pretty cool, so I won't be using it for a couple weeks, therefor I'm in no rush. Just want to get it right. Put a new liner in last fall, and I really want to keep it in good shape.

Are these somewhat normal after the shock last night?
Pool is clear, no visible algae. Backwashed 3 times in the past 24 hours, but this is normal for me at opening as I have a mesh center in my safety cover.

I think I'll take more readings tonight after the sun hits it all day here in Jersey (supposed to be mid 80's today). I'll try to get a pic up with my readings post later.
thanks again

Both your pH test and TA test are interfered with by high chlorine levels. Don't try to adjust any of that stuff while you have FC levels over 10.

Also when your TA turned from Green (or Blue) to yellow, thats when you should have stopped adding drops.
The ultra high FC has some effect on the test turning red.

Like the others said, no need to really test it now anyhow. Finish up the SLAM and then I bet ya get a much better test result on the TA

As yippeeskipee suggested, I agreed i should switch out some water. First I vacuumed to waste, then pumped it out. Took about 1/4 out, it's refilling now. Lets see how that effects the CYA. As much as I enjoy being looked at as a serial killer when I shop clorox in bulk, I'd rather use less. Post results when I can. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Morning everyone. Well I switched out some water yesterday and let the filter do it's thing overnight. Just to recap, my CYA was 80 Sunday morning and my FC was 38 (after adding 11 jugs of bleach to increase from .6). I took roughly 25% of the water out and now the CYA is at 70 (any drop is better I guess) and my FC is 26. I tried testing my PH and TA yesterday, but was told not to bother until my FC was below 10. The water is still clear (had no algae at opening on Saturday). Am I on track? Any suggestions on what to do next (gonna try to wait a week to switch out any more water). I added the pic I promised also. Thanks in advance.20140527_102951.jpg

The cya results are off just as little bit from what would be expected. Could be you were off just a little bit on your drain estimate. When I had my problem last year, I would read my water meter before starting the refill and when completed. X5 OUCH!!!! Just finish up the replacement and you'll be fine! Btw, my pool was as sparkling blue and had a fc of 5 when I started the process. I kept on wondering when I was going to ever see the black dot. Then I finally found the dilution technique that opened up my eyes to the reality I needed to drain and drain and drain and drain and drain!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.