Pool Pump question. (opening)

jimmerz

Jun 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi All. Well I am open. Water looks pretty good just need to vaccum a little. I have a question about my pump and pressure.

It seems to be working just fine and will for several hours (as far as I know). But after an extended period of run time I notice my pool water is not moving around like it should and when I go check the pressure the water coming back into the pool is coming in very slowly... I shut it off and prime my filter and turn it on and it is back to full force (for a while).

Any ideas what my problem might be?

THANKS!

When was the last time you backwashed or did a complete tear down and cleaning ? It may be time for a backwash or cleaning. Do you know what your clean pressure reading is and what is the pressure when the flow slows down ? ?

OK. I replaced the back wash valve. I back washed. And the pump/filter seemed to be working fine. Pressure was Under 10. After a few hours pressure went back up to about 13 and the water being pumped back into the pool was much slower.

Ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I did not test my water but I took it to the local pool store while buying new hardware. PH was a little low but all my other numbers looked good according to them. A friend of mine closed my pool last season. He cleaned the fingers and acid soaked them then returned them to me and I stored them in my shed until last Saturday. So, you think I need to re-clean the fingers?

Ok well I bought the finger wash detergent from the pool store. Since my pump was working adequately at the time I decided to get a nice vacuum in (we just had a storm so I had some debris).

I then proceeded to take apart my filter so I can thoroughly clean the fingers, AGAIN. I did notice the union between the pump and filter seemed to be on a little crooked (probably my problem from the beginning!) Since I was this far I decided to complete the cleaning process on the fingers....They are soaking.

After I get it all back together and let it run for a while I will report back. I just need to make sure I get a good seal on that union this time.

Thanks! Glad it isn't mid swim season with kids giving me the stink eye!!!

OK. After cleaning fingers in solution for 7+ hours I got everything back together. Fired it up, and my pressure was around 5-6 psi. I did a chlorine test and it appears there is no chlorine in my pool? So I added a bag of shock and swim to my skimmer per the directions... And my pressure climbed up to 10-11psi which is where I've been having problems I think. So I turned it off and primed the filter and turned it back on, now I'm back to 5psi. We'll see for how long?

If I continue to have pressure problems what is my next step? Ugh!

The shock you added via the skimmer drove your pressure up. It may rise again until it's all dissolved. I have a couple of questions for you.
1 What test kit are you using and can you post a set of test results.
2 How are you normally chlorinating your pool ? With pucks ? ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the tf-100 and Taylor k-1000 test kits. My problem might be they are slightly out of date (1.5 years old). Yes, I normally use the pucks in my auto chlorinator. I know it's not the best way but my cya had always been low so once I'm able to get the cya up in going to try the BBB method from there on out.

The reagents in your kit should still be good provided you have stored the kit properly. In a cool dark spot is the best place.
You can use the pucks, you just have to know when to stop with them ?

Good Morning TFP!

Ok, here are my numbers.

FC 1.5
CC 0
TA 30
CYA 30
PH 6.8

After doing a thorough vacuum job yesterday I noticed some brown dirt like circles at the bottom of my pool. (It did storm here last night) Not a lot but more than I would like after cleaning it yesterday. You think that is dead algea?

fire away!!!

Anyone?

I've noticed this evening, even with the pump running for several hours there was a lot of stuff floating on the top of the pool. Hard to describe what exactly it is but it was almost like a whitish ash looking substance? I would think my skimmer would suck all that up....

Man, I'm having a rough start!

So according to my cya (30) I belive my shock level is 12. I added about 3/4 gallon of Austins Pool Tech and let is filter around for a bit. I tested my water and my FC was at about 7.5 so I added the rest of the jug. I will re-test and hopefully get it up to 12.

The flakey clear stuff floating around the top of the water seems impossible to remove? I skimmed and skimmed and it doesn't appear to even make a dent!!! It seems so light that when it goes into the skimmer backet it floats around up top? Does anyone know WHAT this stuff is and How can I get rid of it? My water is very clear minus a little on the bottom and the stuff floating on top. I am not allowing anyone to swim right now because of it.

Thank you!

1 more question. Since I have my CYA @ 40 and once I get my pool Stable and FC where they need to be. Should I just stick with adding bleach/liquid chlorine and stay away from the TriChlor pucks in my chlorinator?

How much bleach are you guys adding each day?

(trying to go to the BBB method)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.