Low Low CYA

Sep 6, 2007
Mobile Alabama
I tested twice to be sure with the TF-100 and both times less than twenty. Emptied the entire bottle of reagent mixture and the dot was just as clear as can be. Last time I checked it was 30....that was just a couple months ago. We have got alot of rain. It never crossed my mind to watch this.

Back to the problem...Low if any cya. I've seen BECAREFUL if cya is truly zero numerous times. The pool calc tell me I need 16 lbs! What do I need to do and what is the hazards of no cya?

Jason and Waterbear...I'm still working getting the copper down and adding bleach slowly. Still at .5 ppms copper.

I'm getting my water ready for the SWG system.

Getting it balanced and adding borates.

If CYA is really zero you use much lower FC levels. But your CYA level is presumably at least a little above zero. So things are basically normal except you will lose almost all of your FC to sunlight each day.

I suggest adding some CYA and checking to see if you are having water replaced somehow. One common way that happens is a leak combined with an autofill system.

You don't want to take CYA all the way to 80 in one shot. Don't add more than 10 lbs of CYA at first, give it a week and see where you are. If you add too much it is very difficult to correct and the measurements/calculations are never exact.

stanton said:
23,000 gals
Does that seem WAY too much to add? The pool calc said for 0 cya going to 80ppms would require a little over 15 lbs. I'm going to add a little acid to atleast get a base line like Jason mentioned.

I agree with Jason, don't go for the 80ppm target all at once....ALso, adding that much CYA all at once (which is an acid) may have an affect on your PH so keep an eye on that too.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.