Now I have a question about timers

Since we've lived here, our pool has been "on" non-stop. In doing some research on this site, though, it appears that isn't necessary? When I had a pool service come out initially, they said turning it off and on through the day might save a few bucks in electricity each month, but that was it. Frankly, I'm not even sure if we have an auto timer. Is it really worth it?

How big is your pool? There are lot of factors to consider on how long the pool pump needs to run, Do you have a single speed pump or variable speed pump, two speed and VS pumps are energy efficient. In my case i run my pump only 10 hours daily and I don't want to run it for 24 hours (my pool pump is oversized unnecessarily and its a energy monger). I have simple Intermatic timer with freeze protection thermostat, it takes care of two things

1. Automatically on and off my pump based on my configuration.
2. During winter, I configured to start and run the pump if temperature falls below 37 F
This basic automation is worth it for me.

Please post your pool specification in the signature so that experts from this forum can give you a specific recommendation.

I would definitely thinking about installing a timer. At first I was turning my pump on before I left for work then off after I would get home...wasting a lot of electric. I then calculated the run time with the gpm and feet of head to find out that 4 hours of run time will turn through the water. Just to be safe I have a timer that will run 3 hours in the a.m and 3 hours in the p.m and I can see the difference on com ed bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to mention the wear and tear on the pump itself. Determining how much run time you actually need and installing a timer vs running 24/7 could easily extend the life of your pump motor significantly.

Running 24/7 could be expensive on the electric bill, but having to replace the pump simply because it wore out in a relatively short period of time is a double whammy.

Ok, I added a signature but the sad truth is, that's all I know. I need to get back and inspect things more carefully when I have alone time (I have a three year old who I can't escape from :p). There might even be a timer back there for all I know. I've been able to maintain chemistry pretty well thus far but would really like to know more about how the whole thing works.

Not to mention the wear and tear on the pump itself. Determining how much run time you actually need and installing a timer vs running 24/7 could easily extend the life of your pump motor significantly.

Running 24/7 could be expensive on the electric bill, but having to replace the pump simply because it wore out in a relatively short period of time is a double whammy.

I read that a lot on this site, but the hardest conditions on the motor during runtime is startup...It's the same reason you never burn out light bulbs except when you turn them on. Turning the pump on and off saves on energy and probably the pump seals, but it's harder on the motor due to current inrush. I don't have an opinion on which is right or wrong (I run mine all the time), but wanted to clear this up a bit.

For a centrifugal pump, there isn't much of a "large" current in-rush than say an AC compressor which is huge. In fact, the current ramps up with the motor RPM because the starting load is very close to 0. Pump torque is proportional to the RPM of the impeller. So at start there is virtually no load on the impeller. As the motor spins up, the load and current increase but again, the pump does not have full load until the motor is at full RPM and the amps never exceed that at full RPM. So I don't think there is much "wear and tear" on the motor due to cycling. However, for motors with a centrifugal switch, there is more wear on the switch so that might wear out faster but it can also be maintained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.