calcium flakes?

Jun 5, 2008
We have white flakes coming off our AutoPilot Chlorine generator and comming out of the return jets. Our CH isn't even where it should be yet. Brand new pool. What else causes it.

FC 3
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 50
CH 180
Salt 3000

I wouldn't expect calcium flakes given your numbers, but if your PH has been getting high occasionally that could easily explain it. Brand new plaster tends to cause rapid PH increases, and even low CH levels will cause calcium scaling if the PH goes up. Do you know if the PH has ever gone above 7.8?

If you have the AquaPC-On Point chemical controller regulating the PH so that the PH has never gone above 7.8, then I can't explain it.

IT's actualy a friends pool that he just got finished, the PB bailed on him so I helped him start it up and installed the autopilot total control system for him. Since the install the PH has been on target at 7.5 The acid pump did have a little trouble keeping up with his 40k gallon pool at first, until I changed out the #1 tube to a #5. So the Ph might have drifted up a little bit, but no more than 7.8 I think I'm going to try and change the reverse time from 4 hours to 2 hours and see if that makes a little difference.. I have never seen flakes from my Aquarite. Maybe the autopilot cell power is too strong, I left it default at level 2. It is the SC-60 cell so maybe I can turn it to level 1 and see if it will keep up. :|

I have a Auto Pilot with the SC-36 cell, my cacium level is 425, I keep my PH at 7.5, I have never had any Flakes, but when I first installed the Auto Pilot my Cell would show build up every 2 weeks, I bumped up reverse time to 2 hrs. and I am well into a month now and no buildup on the cell.

Jason responded the same as I would have. I would only add that if you're adding granular to shock your pool, this can cause scale to build up quickly. But overall, the cell size and cell power doesn't affect if scale builds up, the water chemistry does. Now, if it shows up and you're having to acid wash weekly, it's probably that the reverse polarity is not working properly.

Lower right corner of the display is a little dot (pixel) that cycles on or off to indicate reverse polarity. Every 4 hrs, it should change the on or off status... or in RockCrawler case, every 2 hrs.

Watch your pH level though. It's an often neglected parameter and the quickest to cause scale build up, especially with new pool constructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.