taylor chlorine test

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Just opened pool and the water is a bit cloudy and I have a couple minor green spots (size of a quarter).

The taylor test shows no chlorine, but then after about a minute it turns dark yellow.
I added liquid chlorine to bring level to 12 ppm. Then added 256oz more of 12.5%. Then tested again - same deal.

Can anyone explain?
Does it mean I don't have FC?
Could algae be causing this?

My taylor refill is from last fall, the test tube is about 5 years old.
PH is about 7.6 ppm, TA is about 80 (using old agents)
I'm out of all other agents, so don't know what other parameters are.

I had 4.5 FC the day before I closed the pool and added algaecide. Then I tested water about a week after I closed it and FC was 0.5.
Prior years I closed with 3-5 ppm and no algaecide and water was crystal clear when opened.
I guess algaecide consumes FC?
Does it consume CYA? I'm pretty sure I had about 40 ppm when I closed last year.

Should I keep shocking while waiting for the test refills? If my CYA is 0, would shocking be just a waste of chlorine?

Thanks

P.S. what are the chances liquid chlorine I got today is not from last year? How do I test it? :)

Algaecide consumes FC a little bit. There is a soil bacteria that can convert CYA into Ammonia over the winter and it really sucks up the bleach trying to get rid of it, almost as fast as you can add it. Algae will also use up bleach. You really really really need to get some refills for your test kit so you can test FC & CC. http://tftestkits.net can fix you up.

Here's a long thread from someone who had Ammonia. That section starts about page 5.

Yeah, I know, but I won't get it until middle of the week.
The strange thing is - aqua chem junk I had for a couple of years shows some FC right away, while Taylor form last year doesn't.

I added 2 more gallons about 30 min ago and just tested with what's left from TF-100 (0870, 0871, 0003).
FC 6.0
CC 0.5-1 (more like 1, turns pink on 3rd drop of 0003)

I guess if it's gone overnight then I need CYA test result to determine if it's an ammonia or algae.

When you do your CC test it doesn't matter what drop it turns pink with. You still add five drops.
If it takes one drop to turn it back to clear that's ok. If it takes more than one drop to turn back to clear that indicates a problem.
Just wanted to make sure your doing the test correctly. ?

I guess I may got lucky.

4-5 gallons of chlorine got used up very quickly.
Added 2 more at night (should have been > 10 ppm, but test showed only 6), had 5.5 ppm in the morning. Didn't add any during the (sunny) day and had 2.5 at night and then 2.0 this morning with <0.5 cc.

Looks like 6-7 gallons of 12.5% did the trick. The only visible green algae spot I had was gone in about 12 hr and the water cleared up in about 24 hr. The strange part is - that algae spot was size of a quarter and was above the waterline I had during winter. Maybe skimmers had algae, they get rain water and always look and smell bad during pool opening.

Thanks everyone

I don't like the fact that you are claiming success with the OCLT while your FC may be below the minimum required for your CYA ... letting the FC get that low is never a good idea, unless your CYA is truly zero.

I don't like the fact that you are claiming success with the OCLT while your FC may be below the minimum required for your CYA ... letting the FC get that low is never a good idea, unless your CYA is truly zero.

I don't think my CYA is 0. It was sunny all day yesterday with temp up to 90 and I only lost 3 ppm during the day and .5 overnight (same as night before). This morning I added about 1/3 of a gallon, which should bring it up to 4-5. I will add some more chlorine while waiting for the refills, just be safe. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got my refills and my cya is less than 20. Tested twice. (went to leslie's while waited for test kits. their tubes showed 20 and 40, checked them myself)

I have tabs - should I use them or should I get cyanuric acid?

The weather will be sunny in 70s until Monday. Most likely we won't be swimming until then.

Thanks

The tabs will add the CYA slowly. I would add 10-20ppm of cyanuric acid to get your FC some protection right away and then you can use the tablets to raise it a bit more if you like (or save them for vacation).

The tabs will add the CYA slowly. I would add 10-20ppm of cyanuric acid to get your FC some protection right away and then you can use the tablets to raise it a bit more if you like (or save them for vacation).

What's the best place to get cyanuric acid and what should be looking for on the label?

Also, according to pool calc every 7 tablets would give me 17ppm FC and 10ppm CYA, but I guess that's how much CYA I'd get once tablets fully dissolve, which would take 5-7 days.
Same can be achieved with 32oz of stabilizer and I read somewhere it'd also take about a week to register.
With 7 tablets (I'm guessing here) I'd have about 3-4 FC every day while they are dissolving. Is that correct?
If I use stabilizer, I'd have to add the same amount of chlorine while stabilizer is registering.
why would stabilizer be better than tablets? Is my math way off and it'd take more than 5-7 days for tablets to fully dissolve?

thanks

P.S. what chlorine level should I keep during period CYA is being added, assuming sunny weather, mid 70s?

I meant to say 2lb, not 10 :)

I can't verify your math because I do not know the size of your pool or anything about your equipment. How are you going to guarantee the tablets dissolve that fast?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Tablets do 3 things to the water ... you need to track them all. It is simpler to add the CYA and bleach. Once the CYA is dissolved, then assume it is working and adjust FC accordingly, it just may not show on the test for a week.

CYA = cyanuric acid = stabilizer = conditioner ... you can find it at Walmart or hardware stores usually.

Just bought 4LB htc stabilizer. going to put it in the sock and hold in front of a return, like suggested here.

My pool is 23k gallons. 4lb should add a little less than 20 ppm

how long does it take to dissolve 4lb this way?

Also, the water temperature is around 65 - does it matter?

Thanks

Just bought 4LB htc stabilizer. going to put it in the sock and hold in front of a return, like suggested here.

My pool is 23k gallons. 4lb should add a little less than 20 ppm

how long does it take to dissolve 4lb this way?

Also, the water temperature is around 65 - does it matter?

Thanks
It'll take a couple days probably. I'd tie it up. Your arm might get tired otherwise.:D

The cold water might affect the test readings. In a week or so when you check CYA, bring a sample inside and set it in a windowsill to warm up and then run the test.

It'll take a couple days probably. I'd tie it up. Your arm might get tired otherwise.:D

The cold water might affect the test readings. In a week or so when you check CYA, bring a sample inside and set it in a windowsill to warm up and then run the test.

I have half of it (2lb) dissolved already in a little over an hour. I put it in two socks (one inside another), attached it to the pool pole with sock in front of the return. Squeezed it a couple dozen times. Should I let it alone and not squeeze? I didn't see granules come out. Hth instructions say add SLOWLY to the skimmer, I'm sure I'm doing it slower than they recommend.

By the way, stopped by different Leslie's on my way to Walmart. This time their CYA reading was 60. So it was 20, 40 and now 60. Hope my reading is accurate and not theirs. Reagents are fresh, just received them. The only difference may be - by the time I got to Leslie's water may have warmed up a bit from 65 I tested. Hth recommends 20-25 ppm, which I always thought was a little low

Lots of people squeeze the sock whenever they walk by.

Is that bad? I'm sure it took longer than htc recommends :)

HTH recommends you start low because you'll be feeding the pool HTH trichlor pucks all summer long and HTH dichlor shock once a week. It won't stay 20-25 for long.

Good point. I didn't think of that.

Question, while CYA is registering for the test, is it protecting chlorine or not? In other words, should I assume I have about 20 ppm starting today and keep my FC at 2-3ppm or not and if not, what should I keep it at? We'll have 55 - 75 for the next few days, mostly cloudy and my water temperature around 65 (63 now)

Thanks

P.S. It just strange that I fill the tube to the edge and still see dot, while at Leslie's test shows 20, 40 and 60 (3 different places). I looked at their tubes myself and I hope their tests are wrong because tubes are dirty or whatever the reason may be. And if theirs are indeed wrong, I wonder if they do in on purpose. Their CH reading are fluctuating too, 160-260, while I got 250 with fresh reagents and 270 with old ones.

Question, while CYA is registering for the test, is it protecting chlorine or not? In other words, should I assume I have about 20 ppm starting today and keep my FC at 2-3ppm or not and if not, what should I keep it at? We'll have 55 - 75 for the next few days, mostly cloudy and my water temperature around 65 (63 now)

Thanks

P.S. It just strange that I fill the tube to the edge and still see dot, while at Leslie's test shows 20, 40 and 60 (3 different places). I looked at their tubes myself and I hope their tests are wrong because tubes are dirty or whatever the reason may be. And if theirs are indeed wrong, I wonder if they do in on purpose. Their CH reading are fluctuating too, 160-260, while I got 250 with fresh reagents and 270 with old ones.
Yes, assume the CYA you added is there and adjust the FC accordingly.

The CYA test is the mist subjective by far. The lighting can affect results tremendously. Experiment a little and see for yourself the next time you test it. Get a few readings with your sample out next to the pool in bright sunlight. Then go inside and take a few under bright lights, or flourescent lights. Also expeiment with holding the view tube with just one finger and thumb versus holding it with all your fingertips and your thumb. Take readings with the tube down at waist level and again closer to your face. Look away for a minute in case you get that afterimage optical illusion effect and then look at the tube again.

You'll have readings all over the place. If it really troubles you, when you need to order refills, order the CYA standard solution. It's a 50 ppm sample you mix and test to ensure you get 50 when you take a reading. You practice your technique until you find the combination that gives you the right answer. Then you just emulate those conditions when you test the pool. Here's a recent thread about it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75708-CYA-testing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.