Too much pressure/leak from top mount

May 25, 2014
rosamond, ca
I'm new to this forum and not very good with pools, so bear with me.
I have a Hayward filter that is spraying large amounts of water whenever I turn on the pump. I bought it 2 years ago. I changed the O-ring and that didn't help. Also, I have a tremendous amount of pressure, so much, that it actually pushes what I think is the intake hose off. Please help. Thanks.

So, I posted my question and have no idea where it went, so here goes again.
My pool 18' x 33', Hayward pump and sand filter. I have a terrible leak from the top mount, water SPRAYS out whenever I turn on the pump. I just changed the O-ring (filter is only 2 years old), and that did not help. I also have so much pressure, that it actually blows the intake hose off and sometimes the hose from the skimmer itself. I tightened the clamps on all the hoses and the one from the skimmer seems to be holding, but not the one connecting to the filter. Please help. Thanks.

Hi there Jawb903... That's not good news about your filter.... I use cartridge filters, but I am commenting in the hope someone with more knowledge about sand filters will be along soon.... When was the last time you backwashed your filter?

Nope, no pressure gauge that I can see. The tag on it tells me max PSI 50, but no visible gauge. The diagram on the filter is showing me that the pressure gauge is right by the sight window, but I promise you, there's no pressure gauge. My filter looks exactly like the one that is featured in the training on this site. Could it be that I have too much sand in the filter? When I watched the guy cleaning his on this site, he seemed to have way less sand than I have in mine. It worked beautifully last season. I'm about to start screaming. Help...please...

Okay, so I realized that my gauge is missing. Filter didn't come with one. Bought it from Leslie's 2 years ago, go figure. Went back to them today, of course they were willing to sell me one, but not try to help me with my problem...so I'm back. Put the gauge on this evening. PSI at zero with pump on and off. Water of course still spraying. The salesperson at Leslie's suggested emptying the sand and starting from scratch. Any ideas?

Did you have to remove a plug to install the gauge? If not, then of course it will not read a pressure since there must not be an actual air port.

I think pictures would help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I had to remove a plug to install the gauge. I can't seem to upload the pictures, so gave up trying.
uba3y3ab.jpg

Folks, I'm desperate here. I changed the o-ring, the rather large clamp around the top mount, and even the bottom drain cap. I'm still leaking. Can't run the pump, so pool is now a lovely shade of forest green. It's super hot here and I had to cover the pool because I couldn't stand looking at any more, so it's perfect for algae growth :( I even deep cleaned the sand. What am I missing? Help!!!

Lack of pump/filter does not cause algae, lack of chlorine does. You could have still been adding bleach and mixing it in by brushing.

Not sure what is wrong with your filter though.

When you replaced the o-ring, did you LIGHTLY lubricate it with Teflon based grease? It's worth a try. Also when you are trying that, make sure that when you retighten the ring clamp, you get the screw on each side just barely snug. Then tighten each side say... 3 turns. Alternate back and forth between the sides. Occasionally you should also firmly tap the ring clamp on each side (90 degrees from the screw locations) while tightening the ring clamp down. Do this until it is very snug but no need to overtighten to gorilla tight.

Have you gotten you pressure gauge to work? If so, what is the pressure when the pump is on?

You may need to inspect a little closer to determine where you leak is. I had a filter that the vessel cracked right where the clamp is applied and I thought for awhile it was my clamp too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.