Pool skimmer not skimming hardly anything.

Feb 21, 2014
dfw tx
I keep messing with the skimmer to try to change the settings or mess around with it. Let me know if everything is ok or if anything I can do:

Water level about halfway into skimmer maybe a little more.
Skimmer basket cleaned every few days never fully full or close to it.
Skimmer float on the bottom is fully closed since I have 2 pipes.
When pool is on float valve floater is sucked closed.
When pool motor is off it floats.
When pool motor is on water is sucked in.

What am I doing wrong? When pool is on you can see little bugs float beside the opening of the skimmer. I have good circulation from what I can tell.

If the Float Diverter flap is fully closed, one of three things will happen.

1. If your Main Drain is plumbed through the skimmer, all suction will now go to the Main Drain.
2. If the 2nd hole in the skimmer is inert, the Float will get sucked down, nothing will come through the skimmer and suction will be diverted to another intake. (This sounds like you now)
3. If the 2nd hole on the skimmer is a balance line on the side of the pool, suction will be diverted there. This is not likely, as you float is getting sucked down when the pump is on.

The first thing to do for now is take the Float Diverter out of your Skimmer and see how it performs. This is the same as having the flap all the way open.

The weir door is missing , was a foreclosed house so Idk how it came about being missing looks like it was never put in to begin with.

I have 3 circulators and they work sorta in a circle, one hands off debris to another etc. Works good when the debris goes into skimmer otherwise it just circulates all the water very good.

I only have one skimmer and just opened the float diverter all the way. I'll let update in about 20 mins to see if anything changes.

Some skimmers have circular weirs, as apposed to the flat door. These skimmers usually have sides that slope all the way back. If the throat of the skimmer has straights side going back, measure the width and height, as you can buy a universal weir at the Pool Store. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago.

The weir will keep things from floating back into the pool after the pump shuts off. It also keeps a whirlpool from developing in the skimmer, which can lead to your pump loosing prime as it sucks air.

So changed out weir door and I can tell that the flow is better but I'm still having problems with bugs staying in the pool and little grass and stuff floating. Got good circulation but after going away for 3 days and not checking the pool at all I come home and find this: tons of rolly pollys. Is it normal since i'm a first time owner not sure if they are just attracted to water or what.

Try changing the direction of the return jets every couple of days until you get the best skimming action.

I know with mine I'll aim them down for mixing chemicals and keeping the water an equal temperature but adjust them up to move the surface water around more to get the skimmers to take stuff off the top.
You always have the net !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.