Thinking about replacing my pump to a VS pump

Jul 18, 2012
Riverside, CA
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about the idea of replacing my current single speed Pentair Whisperflo 1HP to a variable speed pump in order to cut down electricity bill, since the utility company has an $200 incentive for a VS pump. I currently have my eye on Hayward MaxFlo VS for its low price ($615 on Amazon) and popularity. But I don't know if it is a good choice for my pool, since from what I hear it is a medium head as opposed to my current pump. My pool is about 20000 gal. It has 2" pipe and the pump is about 25 feet away from the pool. I have a spa connected to the system but I have no intention of using it.

Is MaxFlo VS going to be a good fit for my pool, or are there any other recommendations that are worth the investment? Thank you very much for your advices in advance!

As long as you are serious about never using the spa, the MaxFlo VS will be fine.

The value of making this change very much depends on your electric rates. Below about $0.15/kwh you are unlikely to make back your initial investment in the new pump.

Also, keep in mind that the MaxFlo VS requires an external timer, and the pump speed can not be controlled externally. Every time it turns on it runs at one speed for a time you setup, and then runs at another speed until turned off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.