Sand filter sand to get

Jul 4, 2013
Florida
The Ace Hardware price is really up right now at $12.99.

I was wondering about which sand to get. I have an Intex Sand Filter that tells me to use #20 silica sand or glass sand with particle size range of 0.45 to 0.85mm and a Uniformity Coefficient less than 1.75.

I looked online at PinchAPenny and they have a pool filter sand but it is a 20/30 mix.. they claim this is the best range for sand filters..

I checked the chart on the particle sizes and #20 is 0.85 and #30 is 0.60.

Knowing this, would anyone here go with the 20/30 mix or should I go to Ace and get the straight #20 sand?

Any particular reason you are looking to replace the sand? It was millions of years old when it went in the filter, it will still be functional long after you and I are gone.

Any particular reason you are looking to replace the sand? It was millions of years old when it went in the filter, it will still be functional long after you and I are gone.

Hello, I guess my post was made into its own topic somehow.. I'm actually setting up a sand filter for the first time and am confused about the various sand.. I was about ready to buy the Zeobrite for its lighter weight and filtering ability but then i came here and read the posts about it.. so i decided being i'm not even familiar with how this filter is going to work i might as well just stick with what they recommend.. which is #20 silica sand or particle size range of 0.45 to 0.85mm. I checked Pinch A Penny and the only silica sand they seem to have is something with a 20/30 label.. 30 is still in the range above but i'm wondering if anyone else uses 20/30 in the Intex 2650gpm filter...

I'm not going to post the link but here is what they say about the sand

Florida Silica Sand 50 Lb. 20/30 Grade Filter Sand

Pool filter sand is a quality filter media that has been washed and specifically graded for use in sand pool filter systems. This 20/30 grade pool filter sand is the best grade for filtering pool water, according to sand pool filter manufacturers. Follow your filter manufacturer's instructions for proper application and backwashing.

I'm just lost right now and am wondering if I should get this or seek out plain standard #20 silica sand.. I think Ace carries it online..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.