New pool need some help with chemicals

May 21, 2014
Portage, Indiana
I read through pool school and know the ABCs but I just want to be sure I've got it right. I just opened an hour ago and got the filter running. I'm about to vacuum, but when do I start adding cya? The water is mostly clear just some dirt on thebottom. It tested low everything this morning. So I add stabilizer now or start slamming with bleach? Ph.and alkalinity are also low. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

What is "low on everything"?

We like objective numbers. Too many people overmanage the chemistry trying to match some arbitrary target. If pH is 7.2, that's good enough. It doesn't have to be exactly 7.5. pH tends to rise over time.

Please post some test results, and let us know how you got them; what test kit or whatever.

Also, it helps a lot if we know where you are and what equipment you have. Recommendations can change depending on whjether you have a saltwater generator, for example, or live in an area with really hard water. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Sorry, I was in a rush sending that first message :/.

First off, water is not hard here.

I have a 21' x 4' AGP 1.5 hp pump, sand filter, NO SWG.

I ordered the tft 100 kit hasn't come yet. Previous homeowner left 5 different test kits, 3 drip tests, 2 stick tests. I tested them All and they were all about the same with the results.

PH 6.8
TC 0
TA 30-40
CYA 0

I put the recommended amount CYA in the sock at the return.
That's all so far.

Can I add the borax and baking soda at the same time?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Work on raising the PH with borax, when it gets to 7.2 (or higher) test the TA again and see where it ended up before doing any adjusting TA.

Since the PH test reports anything below 6.8 as 6.8, the actual PH might be much lower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Something's eating your FC. Could be algae, could be sunlight, could be ammonia. If you had CYA last year at closing and none now, Ammonia starts to look like a suspect. But without accurate test results, it's all speculation. Do any of those testers measure Combined Chlorine?

The CYA won't register on the test for about a week, unless you sprung for the liquid stuff, which will still take a while.

+ 1 to what Richard said. The CC test results will tell us a lot. You could be dealing with an ammonia problem. If that would be the case your chlorine addition would be consumed by the ammonia very quickly. Without the TF 100 in hand you won't be able to fight it.
We need good valid test results to point you in the right direction. ?

I just read the thread that Richard suggested. Looked like you were spot on with your suggestion (I hope you're wrong here) :p. I put another dose in about 15 min ago. I will check soon and let you know! Thanks

21' X 4' AGP 10400 GAL
1.5 hp pump
Sand filter
no SWG
TFPC method

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.