About to start conversion, two quick questions

Chat

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 3, 2013
I live in NY and didn't put anything in the pool when I closed it since I didn't want to have to deal with more baquagoo when I converted this Spring. I've been doing a lot of reading so I think I'm in a good spot but I did have two questions.

When I opened the pool today it was pretty green which I expected. Should I just put the filter on recirculate when I add the bleach? I was reading in one of these posts that at the beginning all we really need to happen is have the water circulate.

Also, I have two solar dome heaters so there's an extra 30 feet of pipe the water needs to run through, should I have these connected at the beginning or only start using them when the conversion is almost complete? When it's almost done I should be chucking in all the pool toys, chairs and anything that could have baqua on it, right?

Sorry, three questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

You can use recirculate for now, but you will need to filter eventually. It doesn't really make a big difference if you filter now or later, except in choosing when to spend time backwashing the filter.

I would only connect the solar heaters at the very end when things are nearly done, same as the pool toys etc.

Day 6, we're moving along. Day 1 was great, lots done then the work week got in the way. I've been getting the chlorine level to 15 at naught and in the morning. Now that it's Saturday and I'm home I wanted to check and see if I should be adding bleach even if my pool is getting full sun. I don't mind spending a few more bucks but how much does it speed the process up?

I think the place I'm buying the bleach from thinks I'm cooking up some new kind of crystal meth.

I have pics, like an idiot I took them with my actual camera so I need to dl them first.

Yes. Straight out of the conversion article:

Test your water frequently and add the appropriate amount of bleach to get back up to 15ppm. Do this as often as possible, as often as every hour if you can, but at least once a day. Make sure you test and add bleach before bed, and test again in the morning before the sun hits your pool. Initially, the FC will be used up very quickly. The more often you can test and boost your FC to 15, the faster the conversion will go.

emphasis added.

...I think the place I'm buying the bleach from thinks I'm cooking up some new kind of crystal meth..

Have some fun with this. Put a dark, devious look on your face and say something like "....I can't let that evidence linger...."

The look on the checkout clerk's face can be priceless....

Ok, I almost passed the colt test last night so I know I'm close. Some more vacuuming and brushing the walls and hopefully I pass tonight. Once I do, I change the sand and get the cya up which I understand can take a week. During this time, is it ok to swim? Can I leave the solar cover on or is that just going to increase the speed in which I lose chlorine?

Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I almost passed the colt test last night so I know I'm close. Some more vacuuming and brushing the walls and hopefully I pass tonight. Once I do, I change the sand and get the cya up which I understand can take a week. During this time, is it ok to swim? Can I leave the solar cover on or is that just going to increase the speed in which I lose chlorine?

Thanks in advance.
Yes to sand, yes to adding CYA, yes to swim, as long as FC is below the SLAM level for your CYA level. Below 10 for zero CYA. Solar cover will slow the FC loss to sunlight.

On that topic: if that cover was in contact with the bacquacil, maybe it's time to give it a good bath in the pool to clean any residue off. Pool toys, too.

I did the pools toys, loungers, etc, last week and am doing the solar cover today. Thanks on the swimming info, I'll check the fc before anyone swims.

Out of curiousity how long of a bath should it get? The toys and such sat in there for a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.