A couple questions before testing my fill water

jro33176

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 30, 2013
Miami, FL
I received my TF-100 test kit this week and wanted to test my fill water. I anticipate my build finishing up in about 3 weeks or so and filling the pool with city water.

Does it matter how I collect the water samples? Take water from the my kitchen faucet or from the outside hose? It is ok to fill a larger container with the water and then dip the test containers into it?

For the Taylor K-1000 test kit (I want to do the PH test), there are several sheets of "paper towels." What are they for? :confused:

I received my TF-100 test kit this week and wanted to test my fill water. I anticipate my build finishing up in about 3 weeks or so and filling the pool with city water.

Does it matter how I collect the water samples? Take water from the my kitchen faucet or from the outside hose? It is ok to fill a larger container with the water and then dip the test containers into it?

For the Taylor K-1000 test kit (I want to do the PH test), there are several sheets of "paper towels." What are they for? :confused:
If you have a household water softener, get the sample from the hose you'll be using to fill the pool. Otherwise, no difference where it comes from.

Almost all of us old-timers gather one big sample and carry it somewhere comfortable to do the testing. If you have a pitcher or plastic measuring cup with a pour spout, even better.

The paper towels are to absorb the drips if you put the block away damp. They also provide a nice white background.

Don't test CYA. Tap water won't have any so you'll be wasting the reagent.

The "paper towels" are just to keep things from vibrating and moving around during shipping.

It doesn't make much difference how you collect water samples from the tap. Taking water samples from the pool has a few simple rules, but just about anything works for tap water.

Ok, thank you!

Here are my results:
pH: over 8.2 (my water color was darker than the 8.2 mark)
TA: 50 (a light red color)
CH: 100 ppm

Is there a preferred order to bringing each of these parameters into range? Do them all at once?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.