Test Results

Apr 29, 2013
Willard, Ohio
Last year, I switched to TFP and had to do a 75% drain and refill to bring my CYA level down to normal. Overall, had a great 1st year with TFP. Could not believe how easy it was with only bleach!

Just opened the pool and got these initial results:

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 180
CYA 35

PoolMath says all I need to add is borax to raise PH. I assumed FC would be 0 and I would have some CC. Is it normal to open a pool with ready to swim readings? Do I still need to SLAM? Water is clear and sparkling. This just seems way too easy - I must be missing something...

Happy Opening Day! :party:

To be sure, these readings are after the water has had an hour or so of pump circulation to mix it all up, right?

You could just set things up to aerate the water which will bring the pH up with no added chemicals. Point a return up, or build a contraption (lots of pics here if you search "aerator") or use a lawn sprinkler when you top off the water instead of just dropping the hose in. Anything to get teh water bubbling will help.

And it's very common for TFP people to have a super clear pool when they open. The one-day opening.

We have had some strong storms and heavy rain over the last week or so. A little concerned about higher pH and lower CYA readings.

8.2 pH (aeration from rain?)
7.5 FC
0 CC
120 TA
180 CH
20 CYA (was 30 at startup - could still see dot at 25 this morning - rechecked twice)

Should I add something for the pH and CYA, or give it some time?

I am fairly surprised your pH went from 7.2 up to 8.2 in just 25 days. Rain typically has VERY little to do with it.

If it were my pool, I would record a daily log of pH and see if that trend continues (after you lower it per BF's suggestion)

After Muriatic acid and CYA sock treatment, here are today's results:

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 110
CH - 170
CYA - 40

Pool is clean, chemistry looks good, but water is a little dull. Not cloudy, but not crystal clear. Anything I can do to improve clarity? Vacuuming twice a week and cleaning filter weekly. I have 2 filters so they get swapped out each week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.