Pool Algecides and Shock?

Jul 6, 2008
I went to my local pool store today and they told me to buy some weird products. I bought them but I have not yet added them because I have read they are not Biguanide compatible. I specifically told them I was using a Biguanide Baquacil sanitizer and shock program and they gave me, Yellow Out - 99% Sodium Bromide and some non-chlorine shock which has Potassium Monosulflate. Are these ok to add to my Baquacil pool?

I have the regular Baquacil Algecide which has some Benzyl Ammonium Chloride which I thought was Ok for treating Mustard algae which they said was my problem because of the brown dust that accumulates on the bottom of my pool daily and the brown ring on the water line of my vinyl pool liner.

Any advice?

Should I return the products I bought?

Thanks guys!

I'm just curious, with all the problems I've read on this forum about baq products, have you considered converting to BBB? I'm just being nosy. :mrgreen: I don't know anything about those products but I'm sure one of the chem experts like Waterbear will chime in.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I'm just curious, with all the problems I've read on this forum about baq products, have you considered converting to BBB? I'm just being nosy. :mrgreen: I don't know anything about those products but I'm sure one of the chem experts like Waterbear will chime in.
Yea, this pool is just temporary until the inground pool is built during the fall/winter. We actually just converted from Chlorine to Baquacil. But I agree it's a bit problematic. We are most likely installing a SWG on the new pool using bleach as a shock?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.