Cloudy Water and Balance Issues - New Pool Owner

May 25, 2014
Manalapan, NJ
Hi guys, new to the pool ownership game. Have been trying to balance my pool for the past week and so far unsuccessful. I am following the BBB method after mistakenly following advice of Lowe's and shocking my pool with Aqua Chem Super Shock Plus.

I have since reshocked based on the pool calculator and added 5 gallons of bleach last night (9pm). So here are the readings utilizing a Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD complete kit as of noon today.

FC = 9.2
PH = 8.0
TA = 40
CH = 50
CYA = 25
Pool Temp - 72 F

I have a 22x34, 24000 gallon IG Gunite kidney shaped pool with 2 skimmers and 2 returns. The depth of the pool is three feet to seven feet ten inches. It is approximately 20 yrs old (purchase with house this October). The pool equipment is in good working order and I have backwashed the Sand filter and primed the pump. The filter has been online for 48hrs after shutting off earlier this week.

My Equipment is:

Hayward Pro Series sand filter with a multi-port
1.5 HP Hayward super pump and motor
Hayward H Series 250,000 BTU natural gas heater (currently offline)

Water actually looks nice and blue, it's just cloudy to the point that I can't see the drains, i.e., pool floor.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at Home Depot and they sell Calcium Chloride as Ice Melt. 50lb bag is 17.99. Calcium Hardener at Leslie's is 62.99. I'm assuming these are similar products? If not, what do you use? I think the Leslie's stuff is your typical overprice specialty product.

Welcome! :wave:

Lower pH with acid.

If you're sure of that CH reading, then adding some Calcium would be a good idea.

You're in the rare position of being able to efficiently using Cal-hypo "shock" powder to chlorinate if you want. Just be sure to read the label to be sure you pick the right "shock." Using poolmath, it looks like as much as 50 pounds of 73% Cal-hypo wouldn't overload you on CH. Buy a bucket of it and then just use it in place of liquid bleach. Poolmath can still calculate the dosage. When the bucket is used up, switch back to bleach Be forewarned that adding any Calcium product can cause cloudiness.

OK great thanks. I'm taking a test sample of the water to a local Anthony & Sylvan Pool Shop to get the results confirmed. I will then adjust accordingly. Thanks again.
Don't do that! You'll just end up confused. Repeat the CH test. Read the instructions carefully to be sure you didn't use the wrong drops or something. It either turns sky blue or it doesn't. If you can count and do simple multiplication, you can do it!

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK just re-ran. I had put another bottle (121oz) of bleach in about 2 hours ago fyi.

FC = 11
CC= 0
PH = 8
TA = 40
CH = 50
CYA = 25

So based on this I'm going to go ahead and buy some Cal hypo 73%. Muriatic Acid to lower pH and Baking Powder to increase TA.

OK just re-ran. I had put another bottle (121oz) of bleach in about 2 hours ago fyi.

FC = 11
CC= 0
PH = 8
TA = 40
CH = 50
CYA = 25

So based on this I'm going to go ahead and buy some Cal hypo 73%. Muriatic Acid to lower pH and Baking Powder to increase TA.
Now remember: you're using the Cal-hypo instead of liquid bleach. Don't put it all in at once! Use it for daily chlorination until it's gone, then switch to bleach. You may not need to buy any more chlorine products for months.

I purchased some CC as well from the pool store. At 50ppm CH I was worried that waiting for the Cal-hypo to up my CH would take too long and adversely affect the pool plaster.
Just so you know, CC is our shorthand for Combined Chlorine, which is undesirable. CH Increaser is what we call Calcium Carbonate. You'll get people all confused and excited if you keep reporting on high levels of CC!

A double check???

I have a TF100 test kit using the same reagent, and 5 drops would be 125 (5x25). You calculated 50.

You may have a different kit using different calculations; but I thought I'd speak up just in case....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK rerun at noon and here are my results (note, added cal-hypo to get to 16 shock, added baking soda and calcium chloride to up my TA and CH and added Muriatic Acid to lower pH)

FC = 11.2
pH = 7.4
TA = 80
CH = 150 (added roughly 20lbs of cal chloride last night)
CYA = between 35 and 40

Blind vacuumed pool yesterday and backwashed as my psi was going too high afterwards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.