Been practicing TFP for a few weeks...thoughts please!

Jan 2, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
I started with a CYA over 100. After draining and refilling about 3/4 of my pool, I'm down to 55. Stopped using the trichlor tabs, and want to wait on my water bill to see what a 15,000+ gallon drain and fill is going to cost me before getting the CYA a little lower.

I had a small algae problem, but it seems to be under control. My overnight chlorine loss tests are pretty regularly coming in at a loss of .5, which if I read correctly in the P.S., is OK enough to not SLAM?

With that CYA, I'm my target FC is around 7....my CC has been 0.0-0.5. My daily chlorine loss is running right around 1.5-2.0ppm, which has me adding 45-60oz of 10% chlorinator each day. Does this sound reasonable? Seems like a lot to me, but I'm new at this.

Have tried to budge TA off the 150 mark, without much success. I have added muriatic acid on 3 separate occasions, bringing my pH down to 7.0 or so, then turning on the fountains for aeration. So far, pH seems to be coming back up to the 7.5-7.8 range, but no change in TA. From my reading in the PoolSchool, as long as I'm not getting a big pH bounce, the TA doesn't seem to be that important? I also see it will take some time to lower it, but am I doing something wrong, because it's not budging?

Thanks for your combined expertise!!

Everything sounds good.

Lowering TA is a slow process, requiring numerous acid additions, so your experience is not particularly surprising. As long as the PH isn't increasing so fast that it is annoying, you don't need to worry about TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.