My Wedding Cake support arm fix write up.

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
I always hated the design of the wedding cake support arm that goes from the top step upright and then screws into your deck. It has to set on top of your top rail and then you have to put a block or something on your deck to make up the difference in height so you could screw in into place.

The first 2 photos shows what i had, and i did not want to put a block of wood under to secure it to make up the difference in height.

My solution (proposed by another member) was to scribe out the profile of the top rail and cut the support arm to match so it would fit over the top rail and rest flush on the deck.
I really loved the clean look of this solution but it really lost its strength cutting so much out of it. I had 2 support arms and they lasted a total of 3 seasons.

Since i had no more factory support arms i decided to go with regular PVC pipes, elbows, connectors and hold downs.
I believe this approach will work with a lot of different styles of steps for anyone's custom application.

I had to grind the inside of the T coupling so it could slide down my existing stair upright pole, but after that it was pretty much just cutting to your desired lengths and gluing together.
I did remove any lettering that was stamped on the PVC pipes then i sanded them smoother and then applied 4 coats of plastic high gloss white paint.
Below are the results.
I did add one more coupling to one end of the finished support prior to installation for a little extra strength at the stress point.

I like the results and it really is much stronger than the original. All of my material was 1 1/2" pvc piping.
Hopefully this will help another member who may have the same situation.

• Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
I may try this! My deck is going to be a few inches under my rails. Thanks Johnny!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. I'm trying to see IMG_3127.jpg he pics of your wedding cake arm write up. In reading it, I'm having a similar problem and I'd love to see what you did. I just put mine in yesterday and I hate how the arm has to go over the top ledge to reach the deck. Any tips you have are greatly appreciated and I'd love to see pics.

All of my pictures are on another computer. Found this pic on my phone. You can also see it a little in the video on my sig.

In this photo you can see I purchased some PVC, a 90 degree, a T, and a deck flange.

Slide the T down the stair upright determine the length you need add the 90 and the flange.

Hope this helps!

Yay, I can finally see your pics. Thanks so much for sharing.
One more question- I noticed that yours is set up just like ours, very close to the deck railing. Would there be any advantage to drilling it into the deck (like you did) vs. drilling it into the deck post? I was just thinking if I drilled it into the deck post, it would be more out of the way. Thanks again!

Wanted to chime in and thank you @johnnysnok !!!! You are a lifesaver!! We built a deck for our new pool this spring. We put up the pool in Sept and never got to use it as it was already too cool outside. Anyway... deck went up and I got the steps out and QUICKLY realized that the "flappers" that came with the steps would not work. I found your post and went to work. NOW... you MAY have said this.. but when you go to home depot for the 1.5" fixtures... get SCHEDULE 40... not STREET (rookie mistake). But.. THANK YOU. Im SUPER happy and hubby is HIGHLY impressed so its a WIN WIN.

Attachments

• 04EFEEED-300E-4B8E-BFAB-21AB7BEF4B45_1_201_a.jpeg
    04EFEEED-300E-4B8E-BFAB-21AB7BEF4B45_1_201_a.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 45
  • A8EE5B18-9002-49F1-92E1-B3D1D5F5548A_1_201_a.jpeg
    A8EE5B18-9002-49F1-92E1-B3D1D5F5548A_1_201_a.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.