How often and how much bleach and muriatic acid

cc517

Feb 20, 2014
Houston, TX
Hi there
I realize everyone's pools is different but I wanted to get a ballpark to see if I'm anywhere close. How often and how much bleach and MA do you usually add. I find that I've been having to add a quart to half gallon of bleach every other day. Also maybe a full gallon of am weekly. This seems a bit much as I think most don't have to add MA often. I am using borax for borates and it's around 80. Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback!
My ta is 100 btw

The bleach sounds reasonable, considering the size of your pool.

The acid sounds a bit extreme, but I was using that much until I finally knocked the TA down for keeps. How long has it had that thirst for acid? A few weeks, or for years? And is that full-strength acid, or that half-strength low-fume stuff they sell at the hardware stores now?

Hi there
I realize everyone's pools is different but I wanted to get a ballpark to see if I'm anywhere close. How often and how much bleach and MA do you usually add. I find that I've been having to add a quart to half gallon of bleach every other day. Also maybe a full gallon of am weekly. This seems a bit much as I think most don't have to add MA often. I am using borax for borates and it's around 80. Thanks for everyone's advice and feedback!
My ta is 100 btw

I don't have a gunite/pebblesheen pool but *think* that Ive read here that the first year takes more acid tweaking with MA until it ages up a bit? Can one of the pros here confirm or correct this? I see the OP siggy line shows his pool is brand new.

I'm about 4 weeks into a new fill/new pool and my acid use has just subsided. My TA is down to about 80 and I'm only adding acid every other day or two now. For a little while I was using nearly a gallon a day in 29000 gallons. I started with a TA of about 190, but I too know that the lower TA is a major reason my pH rise is calming down. My fill water runs around 7.75 pH and this doesn't help.

Give it some time and yours should calm down too.

Just had a Pebble sheen refinish about a week ago. The first four days I used a 1/2 gallon of MA per day. At 11 days it has stabilized and I just need a swig per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.