Pump timer maintenance

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
This is a heads up to check your timer every so often, if you have one.

We have the Intermatic T101R, set with two screw-on tabs, one to turn it on, the other to turn it off. One of these tabs tends to work itself loose, probably from the physical vibration when the timer sets itself and the times when I set it manually during its off-hours. When it loosens it rides at the 6 0'clock position on the clock wheel, by gravity. Obviously, the pump can't come on that way.

I'm hesitant to put any sort of locking compound on it because I may want to change its setting now and then. I just check it every other day to make sure it's still in place and tighten it, if necessary.

Here is an example of a perfectly simple equipment malfunction which could present you with a 'green' surprise upon return from vacation.

I've been away for a while (enjoying my pool...finally rid of the "goo") but lurking and reading on occasion.

I've had similar experience with the timer trippers; finger tight just doesn't get the job done. I've been using a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the post, almost to the point of putting a dent in the time wheel. Obviously I will need to use the pliers to move the tripper, but at least it stays put.

On another note concerning these trippers - I wanted to purchase a second set so I can have my filter pump run in the morning and then again in the evening. Went to Lowes, Home Depot, OSH and got the same answer - gee, I can sell you the timer, but we don't have any extra trippers :grrrr:

Found them on-line - like $2/pair. Bought several sets so I have some spares.

http://www.poolsaz.com/Intermatic-Time-Switch-Pair-of-Trippers-156T1978A-p/156t1978a.htm

Good deal on the trippers! I talked my electrician out of a second set. Haven't used them yet but it's coming up on the really hot season here when I'll be running the pump a few hours during the day as well.

I just learned that there's a 'medium' strength Loctite that has enough wax (or whatever is in it) to prevent the vibration from shaking the trippers loose but doesn't actually glue them in place like the stuff I used on my old Dodge truck.

The Home Depot I went to had the trippers right above the timers in the electrical section (yes, in an unmarked cardboard box that also had other stuff in it). They were a couple of bucks at most, so I bought 2 extra sets.

I have found that if I use a cloth or gloves, I can get those suckers so tight I can't get them off with my bare fingers the next time around. I have had them slip, so I am paranoid about cranking them down as well.

I use the 2nd set to turn my pump on at night for about 2 hours. We get a lot of Japanese beetles and some sort of beetle that looks like a minature cockroach and I don't like the thought of them floating around for 10 hours or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.