Mustard Algae, no filter suctin on bottom of pool -- related?

Apr 23, 2014
San Carlos, CA
I have a mustard algae problem that came back after a full "TFP approved" super chlorinating shock.

AND... I have two filters in the bottom of my pool that do not intake water. There's a missing part (I think) in my skimmer to divert suction to the bottom of the pool. I bought this house two months ago and am struggling to get the pool squared away.

I thought MAYBE there was a relation to my algae prob and the lack of intake on the bottom of the pool?

I did everything right AFAIK. Measured CYA and did mustard level shock to 24ppm for several days. Passed the overnight test w/ FAS-DPD. The algae came back once my FC hit around 6ppm.

I scrubbed the ever living out of my pool during super chlor, however, I did NOT remove my pool light to scrub. So maybe that bit me. OR, maybe my lack of intake on bottom of pool bit me. I do have a pool creepy crawler however, so water is being sucked from the bottom.

I do have high high PH levels in general and the total alk is high as well (southern calfornia). Maybe that doesn't help either.

Anyways, i appreciate this forum immensely and have learned a ton in the last 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thank you and sorry about the edit. OK, #'s from today. This is a salt water pool that came with the house and man, it's hard to tame!!

CYA: 45-50
FC: 6ppm
CC: 0
TC: 6ppm
Calcium Hardness: 850 (via Taylor) // 610 (via walmart kit) -- my previous tests are around 550, not sure what happened today.
TA: 190
pH: 7.8
Borates: 0-15 (I've never added borates, I think it's probably 0, test strips are hard to read ... I Don't have a chem test for borates)
Salt: 4600ppm

I previously went to 24ppm TC and kept it there for about 3 days. I passed the overnight test (with SWG OFF). During those 3 days I scrubbed everything daily except never removed the light fixture :(

I should add: when I SLAMMED my CYA readings were about 35. This is why I'm saying I went to mustard shock level at 24ppm FC. Now, with a potential CYA of 50, I would need to go to the whopping 29ppm FC. I had added CYA and waited the full week before reading the 35..... it appears that even after a week the numbers can go up.

So in case I don't get any replies, my current self prescribed diagnosis:
* Lower pool to 7.2pH (this appears to be ideal to start SLAM)
* SLAM to 29.4ppm chlorine (my gosh that is high)
* Follow all normal SLAM guidelines
* This time, take out the pool light and scrub that little bugger.

Also as the title mentions, I don't have the little diverter gizmo that would pull water from the deep end inlets. But, I do have the skimmer running normally and also a creepy crawler thing. OH, I also cleaned the heck out of my cartridge filters before SLAMing as well. Really tried to cover all my bases and still came up short. Thanks again TFP

That sounds like a great plan.

Longer term, it would be good to know your fill water CH level. That will allow you to get a sense of how high your should let CH go before replacing water to get it down.

I had some followup questions if you don't mind:

==1==
I have a solar system installed -- standard setup looks like this:
* http://www.dreamscapesbymgr.com/wp-...01/Orange-County-Swimming-Pool-Solar-Pros.jpg

Is super chlorinating to 29ppm chlorine going to do any damage to this? I hope not because I already started the SLAM process and just turned my SWG to 100% and added 2 gallons of 10% bleach (probably will need to add more, checking in 30 minutes).

==2==
Should I buy a skimmer "diverter" to start also sucking water in from my my deep end inlets? Or is this not really needed because I'm also running the creepy crawler which sucks water from the bottom? I have no idea why there's no diverter, or what the appropriate name for that device even is.

Thank you TFP!

So in case I don't get any replies, my current self prescribed diagnosis:
* Lower pool to 7.2pH (this appears to be ideal to start SLAM)
* SLAM to 29.4ppm chlorine (my gosh that is high)
* Follow all normal SLAM guidelines
* This time, take out the pool light and scrub that little bugger.
Yep, that pool light could be the culprit.

You should first complete the normal SLAM before starting the Mustard Algae Slam: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.