Sand Filter Gauge Replacement

Apr 16, 2014
Missouri
I have decided to replace the cheap gauge on my sand filter with one recommended on TFP forum but mine had 1/2" threads. Is it ok to get a brass reducer to adapt to the 1/4" offered or do I need to keep looking for a quality gauge with 1/2" threads? Just tired of the $5 dollar gauges that get moisture under face immediately...time for an upgrade!

OK thanks, I will order one Tuesday from TFTtest kits...should have ordered one of those when I ordered test kit last week!

You will like it I promise. I put one on my brand new filter the first or second week it was in service. Threw the factory one in the trash, and haven't looked back. The new one is easy to read and I know it will last.

Remember...Don't forget to cut the little tip off the rubber insert at the top so it can equalize. If you don't, your reading will be inaccurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, my back mount gauges have a brass "push-pull" toggle to equalize the pressure ( and a label telling you to do so) but the bottom mount gauges have a sealed rubber tip that gives no instructions.

Brushpup, where did you see to cut off that tip? I won't be able to get to the manufacturer for another hour or two.

Just now heard from supplier. No need to do anything to your gauge if it is on zero when you get it. If it's not, simply remove the plug to let the pressure equal....gauge should go to zero....replace stopper and your done. Don't cut the rubber off.....it's there to get a grip if you need to remove it.

The rear mounted gauges have that brass push-pull device in the stopper that does the same thing.

Of the four that I opened to look at, none needed calibration as they were already on zero.

Hope this helps....I sure didn't know about it 'til now.

I am pretty sure I read about cutting the rubber and just did not do it ... might have been on an instruction sheet with the gauge. Might want to check that. I know I read it somewhere. :scratch:

Hmmmm! It's a solid rubber seal so by cutting off the tip (on the ones I have) would only serve to make it a little neater looking.

I have never noticed separate instructions in my inventory but I believe you guys....brushpup must've gotten some, too.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point would be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.