Raypak R226 Heater--Unitherm Governor (i.e. thermostat)

Dave R

May 24, 2014
Boise ID
Using the heater for the first time this year. Two related issues:
1. It makes a groaning noise when heating.
2. I got a HL 2 code twice, and the heater stopped heating for a few minutes, then resumed.

Looking at the troubleshooting guide in the manual, and other online sources, HL2 code is high limit--heater got too hot. Groaning means restricted flow through the heat exchanger. it looks like the Unitherm Governor (same an as automotive thermostat) was not opening. That means not enough water flow through the heat exchanger.

Removed it (unitherm), tested it by immersing in hot water, and sure enough, it was not opening when hot.

Can't get one until Monday. Question is--how bad is it to operate the heater without that part in place? Everything works fine, I'm just wondering what kind of risk I'm running.

Sooo.....

I ran the heater for a few hours today to get the temp where i need it for tomorrow (big celebration.) Watched it carefully. Seemed to be significantly more efficient than the previous day, and ran flawlessly. Tomorrow I'll replace the thermostat.

The heater shouldn't overheat in normal usage. The sensor is a safety device used to prevent the heater from melting down when there is no water flow, which is about the only way it could overheat. Of course there is another sensor that is supposed to sense the lack of water flow. So it is a little less safe, but shouldn't be a problem to run it that way for a day or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.