Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 overhaul

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 overhaul

I have a Polaris 280 that I absolutely love. I have named him Mikey because he will eat just about anything. However, I think it's about time to give him an overhaul. Last year he was acting up(drive gear not engaging and slipping) so I took him apart and made some adjustments to the drive gears and wheels and was able to get him going again. Unfortunately at that time I adjusted him as far as he would go. So now I belive it is time for a rebuild. Any of you have any experience with this.
    Bill
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from http://www.tftestkits.com/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 280 overhaul

I don't have any experience with overhaul, but I too own a Polaris 280 that has given me great service, and was just curious as to how long yours lasted before needing this overhaul?
    Dennis

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Polaris 280 overhaul

Hey Dennis. My 280 has been running 2-4 hrs a day for 4 years. We don't close our pool because we have an attached spa and use it year round. Mikey probably doesn't need a complete overhaul, but his rear wheel is slipping like the drive gear or the teeth on the inside edge of the wheel are worn. Last year I was able to adjust the wheels to engage the gear but I think I maxed out the adjustment so its probably time for some parts. Regardless he will be fixed. The 280 without a doubt was the best money I have spent.
    Bill
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from http://www.tftestkits.com/