What to do when it rains

May 20, 2014
I was in the process of getting my green pool clear and im almost there but weve had several storms. Should I still keep it at shock level or just wait til it stops raining?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP !
Just maintain your SLAM level. The rain will have little affect on your SLAM.
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that would be great as it will help us help you better. ?

Are we talking the pool's going to overflow rain, or just sprinkles?

If it's not enough to put the water above the skimmer, just keep carrying on like it's not raining. It's actually beneficial to have the clouds - less UV rays to steal your precious chlorine.

If it is going to overflow, lower the water level with a siphon hose or something and keep carrying on like it's not raining.

If it's a downpour and I'm going to get soaked while adding chlorine, I'll wait till it settles. If it's just sprinkling, I'll add. And keep an eye on the level as Richard noted. :goodjob:

We have periods of very heavy outpour. Does it affect the cya level at all? Cya initially was around 120, i drained it some and replaced and got it to around 90. Shock level around 35 and ive maintained that for about 48 hours, the green swamp is almost clear! We spend thousands of dollars last year which was our first pool year, i am so grateful for this awesome site! TA before shocking was 120. Currently FC after the rain is down to 20, no more green, i can see the debris on the bottom of the pool, water is still pretty cloudy. Thanks so much for the input.

You should try to get the CYA down a little more. Rain does have an effect on it when you get steady down pours which can be good if you have a high CYA level.

Can you tell us what kind of test kit you are using? And also, please add your location to your profile and your pool specs and equipment to your signature. It helps us help you. You don't have to worry about any unplanned house calls. :mrgreen:

Iam using leslie pool suppy complete test pool kit (I beleive its the fas-dpd one). I am in Oklahoma City, 20,000 gal inground pool with liner. We have a hayward sand filter amd pump.

Rain has little effect on Cya or other chemistry, and little effect on the pool unless there is a tremendous amount of it.

It's just the same as replacing a given amount of water in terms of percent. It will dilute the cya but only a small amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.