Cyanuric Acid when skimmer not working

SDH

Aug 10, 2013
Rosedale, LA
After reading a few threads about the Intec Water Doctor copper ionization systems, I've decided to surreptitiously switch my in-laws' pool (that I've taken over maintenance for) back to chlorine. I'm waiting to receive my TF-100 test kit, but in the meantime bought some cheap test strips because I was curious as to whether the bleach I've added to shock and maintain clarity following opening the pool a few weeks ago would register. There's no stabilizer in it, so not surprisingly, FC did not register.

The pool is algae-free and clear thanks to the copper and bleach, but unfortunately, the old metal ball valves to the skimmer and main drain are stripped and need to be replaced. I've ordered a couple Jandy NeverLube two-ports to replace them, but they won't be in until next Friday. Since the skimmer wont open, I've left the main drain wide open to get the circulation needed. There's no side port, so I'm also unable to vacuum. Ive been leaf raking as many hours as I can stand each day and have most of the leaves out.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION:

I added 5 lbs of stabilizer (98% cyanuric acid) from Wally World (have sworn off pool stores around here). However, since my skimmer isn't working and the stabilizer was granular, I just got out on the diving board and attempted to pour it slowly over the main drain. I know most recommend adding it to the skimmer in a sock or something but given my circumstances, do you think I'm good?

The plan is to check CYA and chlorine in a few days (hopefully the TF-100 will be here) and add more as needed. Will continue adding a gallon or so of bleach and turning on the copper on a weekly basis as usual until I can get a true test.

Pouring the stabilizer in over the main drain was not a good idea. That stuff can plug up the plumbing. It can also damage the pool surface. I suggest not adding it that way again.
It can take up to a week for your CYA to fully register on a test after you add it.
Here is a pic of the recommended way if adding it.
3yqynejy.jpg

Pouring the stabilizer in over the main drain was not a good idea. That stuff can plug up the plumbing. It can also damage the pool surface. I suggest not adding it that way again.
It can take up to a week for your CYA to fully register on a test after you add it.

Oops! I just went over there to add my bleach, and thankfully I didn't really hit my target. There's about a three foot diameter of the stuff sitting about 6 inches from the main drain.

What do you suggest I do to correct? Maybe sweep it around the deep end? I wanted close to the drain because that's where my circulation is coming from.

Oops! I just went over there to add my bleach, and thankfully I didn't really hit my target. There's about a three foot diameter of the stuff sitting about 6 inches from the main drain.

What do you suggest I do to correct? Maybe sweep it around the deep end? I wanted close to the drain because that's where my circulation is coming from.
That's about all you can do - keep it moving so you don't end up with stains or etching on the floor where it's sitting.

That's about all you can do - keep it moving so you don't end up with stains or etching on the floor where it's sitting.

Well, on a positive note, I'm not too worried about staining or etching. This 50 year old pool hasn't been very well maintained at all points and so already has etching and staining. She's old and has some battle scars, but I'm keeping her on life support until I can install my own. ;)

As mentioned before the sock method is the best way. I did this and gave it a good squeeze when I got home from work and before going to bed to help the dissolving. Oh and make sure it's a pink sock like the picture shows ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.