I hate birds !!!

May 5, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Certainly I cannot be the only one battling this.

I go outside on more than one occasion to find bird **** on the top "walkway" of my above ground pool. And usually a couple droppings in the pool...usually after I've just vacuumed....Its driving me nuts!!!!
Is there some hidden sign for avians noting my pool as the party place?

How the heck do I deal with this? (short of grabbing my trusty 12 gauge with bird shot ;)

I had a friend say to try a realistic rubber snake. Does that really work?
Has anyone else been dealing with this?

Do you like cats?

Just kidding, my AGP gets bombed on a regular basis. I have a huge oak tree hanging over my pool that is full of "nature". Birds usually don't hang around at ground level when my cat is around, but they do let fly from the upper branches from time to time. In the fall the squirrels have acorn chucking contests to see how many they can land in the pool. I used to have a family of racoons wash their food in the pool at night, but I think the cat chased them off.

You can try the snake if you find one that floats so it looks like it is swimming in the pool. If it just sits there the birds catch on pretty quick.

Cats or dogs are probably the best deterrent to chase off birds.

I put a snake under the deck to prevent the birds from building a nest and they build the nest on the snake's back! I put an owl up and they build a nest on the owl's head (see my avatar). I am also scooping several bird bombs out of my pool every day.

OMG!!! I have bird poo in my pool! On my rails! On the side of my pool... REALLY?! How does that happen?!!!! On my ladder! I am so sick of it that I too am ready to break out the Marlin Lever Action. :shock: It looks like I will be buying rubber snakes too! I will also be putting a nice big one in the bottom of the pool and moving them around the outside and hanging 1 or 2 on the rails of the pool! I think it is so discusting and wipe it off only to have 4 more splatters awaiting me the next day! :rant:

Adding a pic to show how these birds have an amazing skill at bombing the wall of my pool!

You should see my car! :rant:

I will try anything at this point...except the whole cat thing <------Hate them almost as much as these **** birds.
You had me laughing my arse off with the acorn chucking contest piece. Guess I have it easy compared to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Casey I'm right there with ya! No sooner do I finish cleaning up one mess on the top rail and stowing the pain in the butt hose and vacuum from one bombing run in the pool then I turn my back and BOOM, more of it.
I used to love birds, even had a feeder at one time...but those days are GONE!

- - - Updated - - -

I put a snake under the deck to prevent the birds from building a nest and they build the nest on the snake's back! I put an owl up and they build a nest on the owl's head (see my avatar). I am also scooping several bird bombs out of my pool every day.

Hahaha...making a mockery of it are they? Nothing like em rubbing salt in the wound.

We'll still get some, however we really did see a decline in the bombs after we put 3-4 out. Plus the kids enjoy scaring their friends when they first come to swim. We passed on the expensive ones, as the cheapos worked just as well.

I have seen some commercial pools use fishing line well above (>10') the pool in a cross/mesh configuration to keep the birds away. It doesn't always work but they claim it helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a customer that had a horrible bird problem for years. He tried scarecrows, rubber snakes and all sorts of contraptions.

He finally found a falcon trainer and the trainer brought out a couple of falcons for a few hours each day... no more bird problem. Temporary solution though, the falcon guy got to be expensive.

Maybe if you guys could get your hands on a pet falcon and teach him how to chase the Bombers?

Love the falcon idea, wish I had a buddy that trained em as I'm sure that it is def expensive.
Richard, I was thinking the same thing with the moving Owl idea. I've seen them at mounted on archways above some building entrance areas to keep pigeons from perching and pooping on people. Think I will try those too.
Something needs to work, maybe just takes a combo of ideas.

I'm hating the stupid freaking birds this year too! Big evil Bradford Pear behind the fence. (Neighbor's yard or I would have hacked that thing down already!)
There is also a big berry tree of some sort in my other neighbor's yard. That one is causing the problems now. Full of big ripe berries. Birds love it. All kinds of birds. All over the tree. Pooping berry poop on my tan roof gazebo. Dropping berries in my pool. Pooping in my pool. *sigh*

Last year was bad and I hope what happened last year doesn't happen this year. At some point during the summer I started noticing tons of we'll say "stuff" in my pool. One day I noticed a large black bird sitting on the gazebo roof with what appeared to be *stuff* in his beak. I did some googling. Mother birds sometimes clean their nest of the poopy-pee "sacks" that the baby birds leave and for some reason they'll drop it in WATER!!! That bird was doing this. Several times a day! It was DISGUSTING. It was like my pool was the bird septic tank. :-(

Right now I'm just making use of my Pool Blaster Max vacuum. Very good purchase. I don't have to get out the stupid hose anymore.

Iceman, Hello from Va Beach! :)

I'm hating the stupid freaking birds this year too! Big evil Bradford Pear behind the fence. (Neighbor's yard or I would have hacked that thing down already!)
There is also a big berry tree of some sort in my other neighbor's yard. That one is causing the problems now. Full of big ripe berries. Birds love it. All kinds of birds. All over the tree. Pooping berry poop on my tan roof gazebo. Dropping berries in my pool. Pooping in my pool. *sigh*

Last year was bad and I hope what happened last year doesn't happen this year. At some point during the summer I started noticing tons of we'll say "stuff" in my pool. One day I noticed a large black bird sitting on the gazebo roof with what appeared to be *stuff* in his beak. I did some googling. Mother birds sometimes clean their nest of the poopy-pee "sacks" that the baby birds leave and for some reason they'll drop it in WATER!!! That bird was doing this. Several times a day! It was DISGUSTING. It was like my pool was the bird septic tank. :-(

Right now I'm just making use of my Pool Blaster Max vacuum. Very good purchase. I don't have to get out the stupid hose anymore.

Iceman, Hello from Va Beach! :)

Hey Beens, another VABeach'er. Good to see I'm not the only one dealing with this headache. Its such a pain in the arse to deal with that difficult vacuum hose over and over again, I've been trying to find a better solution to it, will def take a good look at the Pool Blaster Max vacuum that you use. Good results with it??

Wife and I have been outside around the pool area and she actually saw them do a bombing run and drop the poop sac out of their mouth right in to the pool. BLEH!

Hey, I had all kinds of birds around my yard for weeks. My yard is enclosed by cedar hedges and I think there is at least 3 or 4 nests going on around them. They were swooping down about a foot above the pool and dumping right in it and I swear they were having target practice on my patio table. It was disgusting. And I had two owls that I was moving around every day. Did nothing.

Read online that hanging old cd's works. Thought I might as well give it a try. I put up 5 cd's; just tied to low hanging tree branches, some hanging plant stands and from the pool shed. I have had maybe 4 or 5 new poops in my yard and I have had these up for over a week. The way the light reflects apparently freaks out the birds. It works... tie up some cd's!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.