LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2014
Old Bridge New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
NJ Mike: I deleted the other Thread you had on this subject since this one had more responses.
--BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hello and thank you in advance ,opened pool last week took sample to pool guy was told FC was zero added 20 lbs of shock to date fc still read zero found this forum and purchased a TF-100 test kit here are the readings

FC 6
CC 1.5
TC 7.5
CH 300
TA 130
CYA 100

I always went by what the pool guy said so all this is new to me what are my next steps also have a chlorinator with tablets installed .water is clear Thanks again Mike

Hey, Mike,

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your CYA is too high....almost surely from the over use of pucks. I would suggest you do two consective drain/refills....each at 33% of your pool water.

That should get your CYA down around 40 or so and will make your season with your pool much more manageable and enjoyable.

I know that's a bitter pill after you have opened so well but without reducing that CYA, you will need to keep your FC up around 10 ppm all summer and, well, that is a LOT of chlorine....much more expensive than the water to refill (about $50, I think...depending on your water rate)

Since you have a vinyl liner pool, you never want to drain it all at once. You need to leave at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end of the pool to prevent the liner from shifting. We recommend you drain no more than 50% of the pool's volume at one time. After the drain refill the water, circulate for an hour and re-test. Report your results here.

You're not THE Jersey Mike are you?

BPP_LOGO_78177.jpg

Welcome anyway. :wave:

Welcome to TFP! Once you drain and you follow the tips you find on this site you'll take your pool over! The feeling is liberating! It'll all begin to make sense, just gotta hang in there. Just drain and refill. Check back in with us after you begin to refill your pool and we will point you in the right direction. It's that simple!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had responded to the other Thread you had on this subject (which I have since deleted). I had basically suggested what you are doing (a drain & refill).

Just FYI (and for the benefit of other members), the maximum reading of the CYA tube is 100. Whenever you get a result of "100" on the CYA test, it could be considerably higher than that which would impact how much water needs to be replaced. Therefore, you would want to repeat the test using these directions: Extended Test Kit Directions. Scroll down to post #8 for the CYA test. No need for you to do this now that you have started the drain & refill, just posting for future reference.

I had responded to the other Thread you had on this subject (which I have since deleted). I had basically suggested what you are doing (a drain & refill).

Just FYI (and for the benefit of other members), the maximum reading of the CYA tube is 100. Whenever you get a result of "100" on the CYA test, it could be considerably higher than that which would impact how much water needs to be replaced. Therefore, you would want to repeat the test using these directions: Extended Test Kit Directions. Scroll down to post #8 for the CYA test. No need for you to do this now that you have started the drain & refill, just posting for future reference.

Thank You for all the help will keep updated

NJ Mike: I deleted the other Thread you had on this subject since this one had more responses.
--BoDarville, TFP Moderator

Hello and thank you in advance ,opened pool last week took sample to pool guy was told FC was zero added 20 lbs of shock to date fc still read zero found this forum and purchased a TF-100 test kit here are the readings

FC 6
CC 1.5
TC 7.5
CH 300
TA 130
CYA 100

I always went by what the pool guy said so all this is new to me what are my next steps also have a chlorinator with tablets installed .water is clear Thanks again Mike

Good Morning after partial drain and fill part 1.my new reading are
PH 7.2
FC 1
CC 1.5
TC 2.5
CH 225
TA 90
CYA 70

Hope im heading in the right direction at this point should i drain and refill pool again or can we work with this Thanks Mike

I see you have a CC 1.5. Your water looks clear but your FC level is way to low. I would bring your FC level up to SLAM level for your CYA level which is 28. That may knock that CC down.
If it were my pool I would want the CYA level lower. 50-40. IMO the pool is easier to maintain there.
Now with that said, your CYA level of 70 is doable. You just have to stay on top of your FC levels so it doesn't fall below the min. For that CYA level I would be targeting 9 and don't let it fall below 5. You don't want to have an algae outbreak at that CYA level, it just makes you have to use more bleach for the SLAM process. ?

I see you have a CC 1.5. Your water looks clear but your FC level is way to low. I would bring your FC level up to SLAM level for your CYA level which is 28. That may knock that CC down.
If it were my pool I would want the CYA level lower. 50-40. IMO the pool is easier to maintain there.
Now with that said, your CYA level of 70 is doable. You just have to stay on top of your FC levels so it doesn't fall below the min. For that CYA level I would be targeting 9 and don't let it fall below 5. You don't want to have an algae outbreak at that CYA level, it just makes you have to use more bleach for the SLAM process. ��

I agree with you with CYA level 50-40 ,back to the drain and refill part 2 .will keep everyone updated Thanks Mike

Mike you also need to get some chlorine in the pool ASAP or your going to be fighting algae. I don't think you want to do that process. Bring it up to SLAM level for your CYA level. Your CC's are a little high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.