Upgraded Intex 14x42 with pics

May 2, 2013
Ok...I figured I'd share my hard plumb and Hayward thru wall skimmer that I learned all about here on TFP!! I owe thanks to all that has posted and developed this site. The "Pool School" and stickys have been a great help. It's unbelievable the amount of information that is around on this site. Big thanks to those who have taken the time to do this. ;)

This was my plan:
1st year....buy pool and buy the SWG salt water generator (SWG worth every dollar!!)
2nd year...upgrade to sand filter and 3000 or 2650 pump with hard plumb
3rd year...upgrade size of pool...... 're hard plumb and apply what learned from this years hard plumb.AND landscape around the pool. I really didn't want to take pics and post because of not having a cleaner look.......but oh well....least the kids have a pool right? ...lol

Quick note on rusting issue....I noticed with this pool when I purchased that the insides of the metal frame did NOT have a coating of paint on the inside. The outside was coated good but inside only had like an overspray of paint. I figure this has to be one of the biggest reasons of Intex pools rusting. Knowing we were only going to have this pool for two (2) seasons....I didn't worry to much about this issue. BUT ....when I purchase my next Intex, I will give myself time to take each piece of metal and try to coat the inside with a good 'o coat of Rustoleum. (Since our next pool I plan to keep up for 3-5 years)

One thing I learned was I always thought having a "salt water pool" it would be like swimming in the ocean. Well, if anyone thinks this way I did...it's not. You can barley taste/feel the salt in the water. ;) And the SWG make chlorine for you! I know here in Florida, I wouldn't be able to afford the amount of chlorine this pool would use because of the sun. So the SWG paid for itself in no time. (Probably a month maybe two)

The gray hose in the suction side or before the pump will be hard plumbed also.....I need one more of those flanged fitting in electrcal aisle at lowes...haven't had a chance to get back there for it....so this gray hose is temporally.

img hosting

image hosting site

Sorry for double posting like this....I am on my phone and is hard to post pics

greenshot

Here is my version of a design I got from the fellow that has the thread "I should patent this".
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-Intex-Metal-Frame-Pool-(I-Should-Patent-This!)
I decided to go to the ground with a couple of shelves. Plus...I know it may look a bit "redneckish" (and no offence to any that are....lol) but I needed something to cover my kids swimming gear from the brutal sun UV rays. So I had some Prodex radiant barrier that has foam layer. Taped it onto the pvc frame. When done...it was shiny aluminum. ....so I thought a coat of white paint made it look a little better?? I know...it doesn't look the prettiest. ...but we are country folks here. (In fact my 8yr old said a few weeks back while driving downtown New Orleans "daddy...what is that chicken looking thing walking o the sidewalk doing?" ...It was a Pigeon. ...bahahaha!!!

But here it is ↓↓↓↓
- - - Updated - - -

Ok....here is my version of the "I should patend this" thread.

adult picture hosting

free upload pictures

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

For those who think they may want to upgrade to the intex sand filter and pump...well here below is witb one return on. I don't run it this way...but just wanted to show how much better this route is!! Has you can see it almost halfway across our 14ft pool!!!
I run it with two returns. One pointing down witb a slight turn (about 6:30 if looking at it as a clock) and the other return points around 7:00. If I run them both pointing sideways....it seems to have to much of a whirlpool. (I'm still trying to figure out the "sweet spot")

gif upload

- - - Updated - - -

If I could do the thru wall skimmer again, I would install it where most I've seen mount it....which is the top of the skimmer is just below the gray....or just below the seam.
I was worried about losing water depth. But now I worry about if water height gets to low the pump can suck air.
So if skimmer was mounted just below seam....it would have gave me an inch or two before having to "top off" the water.
But next year when we upgrade size of pool, I will mount skimmer just a little lower. I was so worried about losing water depth that I didn't even think about how much more I'd need to keep an eye on the level. ;)

photo sharing websites

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice work, I think I definitely prefer the single side fountains like yours than the "T" split ones. The full arch of water looks cool! Your motivating me to get going with my own hard plumbing, thanks!

I had planned on going with a "T". But when I got to that area of plumbing, I decided for the "L". Only because of location of both plumbing and fountain. I wanted to go with "T" for support.... but like it is I was worried but even without the two zipties on end the plumbing was fairly ridged. It "almost" didn't need the ziptie. ;)

What was the deciding factor for me going to hard plumbing was reading here. One said you didn't have to worry about a blown line. After upgrading to this pump...let me just say....I'm sure glad I hard plumbed. Very powerful! ;)

Good luck with yours and if I can be of help....feel free to ask. (I'm far from a pro....but will give my point of view ;) )

- - - Updated - - -

Love it can't wait to cut my liner for my skimmer... :)

Our hand held pole skimmer is shot from last year.......I haven't bought a new one....nor think I have to!!! Wall skimmer does all the work...nice! Last year I didn't mind spending 10-20 a day with pole skimmer.....didn't think it was a big deal....now I don't have to.....WOW...it is nice...lol
Get your wall cut!!! ;)

*********UPDATE***********
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆:handwave::handwave:

Anyone that is looking at my design. ...I would highly recommend installing two separate valves on the intake side.
I have only one. I figured for this year I'd save the $12 or so and just used the black cap if I needed to shut the original one off.

Well tonight I couldn't run my pool until I filled up the pool. The water was a bit low from kids splashing and it would suck a little air. I was busy and didn't want to add water...but had to. (I wanted to add tomorrow)

So ....since I only have the one valve...I couldn't turn the skimmer line off and use the lower original intake.

I knew next year when we upgrade pool ...that I'd install the two separate valves....but didn't think It would give me to much issues this year......wrong....lol ;)

So ....since I only have the one valve...I couldn't turn the skimmer line off and use the lower original intake.

fortunately it shouldn't be too hard to fix. put one coming down from the original pool outlet and move the other valve to below the skimmer, but above the tee. you want to have it above the tee so you can close off the skimmer when water is low, but still have the pump running.

fortunately it shouldn't be too hard to fix. put one coming down from the original pool outlet and move the other valve to below the skimmer, but above the tee. you want to have it above the tee so you can close off the skimmer when water is low, but still have the pump running.

Gotcha.....didn't even think about it.....lol

Wow! Look what you did with my tray holder!! I love the shelves! I currently have my new float hanging on mine with a bungee cord. Handy!

Beens.....yes....now I have the name to give credit to!! I was going to post a pic in your thread but ....honestly I forgot...lol
(Probably best I don't. ...? Some are a bit funny here aboit "hi-jacking" ??

Anyhow....I ripped this this thing up in a few hours. Wished I had something to make it look a little less "getto" ...lol
Maybe this winter when I replace my pool with larger size I will use part of tbe pool liner for the "box".

Anyhow. ....thank you again for your great idea!!!

love it!! i was just wondering is that a pool you take down every year?

We live in Florida so we leave the pool up. I probably would still leave it up if I lived North. Lol....
I'm in PA and have the 22' Ultra Frame. I just opened for the 3rd year, 2nd year leaving it over winter. They do great. It was 2 feet thick with ice over winter. I drain it down to the stock skimmer hole and leave the it open to allow water to drain out. Previous year I drained below the skimmer hole, well, way below the hole because I forgot the hose siphon was going and only had about a foot and a half of water left. Then hurricane Sandy came up through the coast and flowed over towards us and filled it back up within a day, so now I just drain down to the skimmer hole and let any rain/snow melt flow out the hole.

I have quite a few PVC projects I'd like to do with my Intex, this one you show of Been's tray has just been added if I ever get around to doing it.

I have quite a few PVC projects I'd like to do with my Intex, this one you show of Been's tray has just been added if I ever get around to doing it.

(On the winter subject. ....I lived in Michigan for 20 plus years.....we had a real agp......so I'd think these intex would be fine as long as one didn't mess around when frozen.....which reminds me....we did have an ice storm here this winter....many called it snow....lmao....but we got a layer of ice on the intex....very rare here)

I need to build a pvc "holding bin" one of these days.....this is why with Beens tray...I got er done quick....becaise I knew if I didn't. .....well....know how it goes.....lol
(Holding bin like you see at stores selling big floaties)

I noticed today that one of my daughters discovered the the first two pvc pipes (three on each rack or shelve....but fist two are slightly closer together. ....like I said...I slapped this together fast...lol)
But her swimming fins hang down perfectly inside the two slots.....lol...she has that mechanical eye.....where my oldest son couldn't tell me tbe first thing to do when changing a flat tire. ...lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.