Theep

Theep

Aug 30, 2013
Tucson
Welcome to TFP I started a new thread for your post. Please start a new Thread whenever you have a question or new topic as opposed to posting your question on someone else's Thread (we call that practice "hijacking"). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --duraleigh, TFP Moderator
You're at the upper limit of what's actually manageable for CH. It will require maintaining low TA and low pH to prevent scale formation. I keep TA 50-60 and pH below 7.5, always targeting 7.2 when I add acid. I'm just waiting for some rain so I can soften up my pool water.

Richard,
My pool was just finished 2 weeks ago, so I am learning how things work. I live in Tucson, so I am expecting a lot of evaporation, plus our water is pretty hard. I was wondering how the TA and pH you recommend helps with keeping the water soft, and I assume the scaling down.

Re: Draining my pool?

Richard,
My pool was just finished 2 weeks ago, so I am learning how things work. I live in Tucson, so I am expecting a lot of evaporation, plus our water is pretty hard. I was wondering how the TA and pH you recommend helps with keeping the water soft, and I assume the scaling down.
Use poolmath. Plug all your numbers in. At the bottom, it gives CSI. CSI above .6 will probably lead to scale formation. Below -.6 will likely etch the plaster. As long as you're between those extremes, don't sweat it. But if you play around with the Target a little, see what raising the temperature does, and pH, TA, and CH. You'll see how they can push it towards scaling. You can't really control CH except by draining and refilling, you have no control over temperature, but you have a limited range of pH for comfort, and some control over TA. So if you approach .6, see what you can adjust to keep it down. In my case, I keep pH at the low end of the safe zone and TA is around 60-70. That balances out the astronomical CH readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.