2 speed pumps and Caretaker 99 in floor system

The CareTaker will require high speed to be able to clean the pool. You can run on high speed part of the time to clean and then run on low speed the rest of the time for general circulation and that will save some electricity, but not as much as if you didn't have an in-floor system.

Thanks for the reply !! Guess i will stay with the single speed cause the caretakers work really well and i want to keep them ( I also have a lifetime warranty on the whole system !!! )

I just did an energy cost calculation today on my system. I, too, have an in-floor cleaner which I think is awesome! My pump is a Pentair 3hp VS and I'm running the in-floor cleaner at 2600 RPM and the circulation system at 1600 RPM. According to the EasyTouch panel, those speeds consume about 1100 watts and 500 watts, respectively.

My electricity costs about 11 cents per kilowatt-hour and I run the system a total of 9 hours per day–6 hrs on high speed, 3 hrs on low. Doing the math equates to about 89 cents per day to run my pool equipment. I haven't done a life-cycle cost comparison of a single speed versus 2 speed versus variable speed pump, but I can tell you I am very glad I got a VS pump! It allows me to dial in the whole system and I am still tweaking it after 1 year of operation!

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Has anybody tried the new VS pump from Circupool , I got a email add last week from Discount salt systems and they are selling them.
http://circupool.mybigcommerce.com/vj-3-variable-speed-saltwater-pool-pump/

I have not but I definitely would read these stickies in this forum: Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Paper . Good Luck in your search!

Last edited:
Both of you seem to be running your pumps for a very long time. Any reason for that and have you tried shorter run times? Also, if you want to save a bit more on energy you should try 1000 RPM on low speed and see if that works for you. 1600 & 1700 RPM is pretty high for a VS and will use much more energy than 1000 RPM which is around 140 watts.

But for comparison to a two speed, my pump uses about 1150 watts on high speed and 250 watts on low speed.

Both of you seem to be running your pumps for a very long time. Any reason for that and have you tried shorter run times? Also, if you want to save a bit more on energy you should try 1000 RPM on low speed and see if that works for you. 1600 & 1700 RPM is pretty high for a VS and will use much more energy than 1000 RPM which is around 140 watts.

But for comparison to a two speed, my pump uses about 1150 watts on high speed and 250 watts on low speed.

You are correct that I am running my pump at longer than the most efficient timing. My SWG is plumbed on the high speed (in-floor cleaner) side and, due to my pool's location in full sun, I have to run it 6 hours/day to produce enough chlorine. I am still testing speeds versus flow rates on my in-floor cleaner. To date, 2600 rpm works well to properly sweep the bottom and sides. There is more experimentation to follow!

Also, since I have a venturi-driven skimmer, I also need a little more flow on the low speed side to get a decent skimming action. While I really like my pool's shape, I believe the I could've designed a better shape for pump hydro-dynamic purposes but the aesthetics overruled that!
:hammer:

Last edited:
I run my pump for twelve hours here in the Arizona sun. I may knock it back a couple hours when I get the seasonal change dialed in. I run a HeatPump/Chiller combo as well. 1700 is needed to meet the flow requirements of the HeatPump. The 325 watts used at 1700 is a fraction of what my single speed pump was using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.