Sinking wedding cake steps...

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Directions say to use sand. Who are they kidding?

1. has anyone actually tried to fill these things with sand? trying thus far to pour sand in the quarter size holes in the step platforms, here is my estimate:

I am 35 years old and I estimate if I start tomorrow it will take me until I am 76 to fill these things with the 70 lbs of sand the directions call for. It is that slooooowww of a process.

2. My PB said not use sand, because I will constantly be vacuuming it off pool floor as he says all the cake steps leak sand. He recommended me using a 3/4 inch hole saw and drilling some holes at the bottoms and high up on the sides of the steps, then, putting the steps in my pool and using the water hose to fill them with water so they sink. At the end of the season, when I pull them out, the water will drain out of the holes I drilled in the bottom.

thoughts? will filling them with water be an open invite for algae to build inside them? how did you sink your steps?

thanks.

Use the search box up above for wedding cake. I know many people have made weights with PVC pipe filled with sand that they can lift out to remove the steps for cleaning. I know that behind those steps is a prime algae breeding ground. Read up on the problems and solutions others have found.

My steps came with two big green mesh bags into which one full bag of sand is placed. Haven't leaked going on 5 years now. Folks use PVC capped both ends with sand in those as well. I've drilled a ton of extra 1" holes in mine for circulation mostly. You'll need all U can get!

I tried filling my Mighty Steps with sand and regret it! If I ever take them out of the pool, I will be drilling holes and throwing the hose in there and flushing the sand out. I have my steps anchored with bleach bottles. :mrgreen:

Once Hubby gets the deck on and I move the steps to it's permanent location, I will be hiding the bleach bottles under the steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.