First Test With My New TFPC Test Kit

patrick3229

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 2, 2012
I received my TFPC Test Kit earlier this week and did my first test today. This is on a 40,000 gallon gunite pool in FL with a salt system & nature 2 (I know I might get blasted for using Nature 2 :p) Here are the results

Ph 8.5
Calcium 350
TA 120
CYA 10
FC 1.0
CC 0
TC 1.0

So according to the Taylor book it says I need to add about 3.5 gallons of Muriatic acid. And I also need to add stabilizer, I'm a little hesitant on adding the stabilizer as the last time I did this I added it directly to the pool and it turned instantly cloudy for 2-3 days. What is the best way to add stabilizer? Also is it okay to add that much muratic acid to the pool at one time or should I do that over several days? What is the best way to add the muratic acid to the pool. Also any other suggested would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the help and I'm excited to start following the TFPC method.

The easiest way to add CYA would be to put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return a bit away from the wall. I've tied mine to a noodle too.

I can't imagine adding the needed MA all at once would hurt anything. You'll want to pool it in slowly in front of a return. I always brush after adding chemicals of any kind to ensure mixing.

I come up with 3½ quarts of Muriatic acid using Poolmath. If pH reads 8.5, it could well be even higher. And I would add acid in two doses and check the reading again after it's had an hour or so to mix between doses. Brushing ensures it gets well dispersed.

Your questions are probably all answered in this pool school article.

Your FC level is too low. It could be that you just need to crank up the SWG some more, or it could be that the sun is dstroying it as fast as it's being generated due to low CYA. But you need to get it up in the 3-5 range NOW. Wait at least 30 minutes with the pump running between adding any chemicals.

Thanks Richard! I will check out the pool school article, also my CYA is probably 0 not 10 if that makes a difference. Do you suggest doing the sock in front of the return or in the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard! I will check out the pool school article, also my CYA is probably 0 not 10 if that makes a difference. Do you suggest doing the sock in front of the return or in the filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's too big to go in the skimmer without blocking flow, then put it front of a return. The important things are 1) It's contained in the sock until it dissolves, and 2)It has a constant flow of water to dissolve it faster.

You don't need to wait for the CYA to dissolve to add either bleach or acid since it could take days. Just make sure you go 30 minutes between switching chemicals.

I've put mine in the skimmer in the past but stopped because the sock attracted all the beetles, spiders, and other bugs that ended up in the skimmer. We have giant spiders and I'm not a creepy crawly fan......it made it icky to pull it out of the skimmer. Needed tongs to take it out and give it a squeeze.

When it is floating in the water on a noodle I always stop and give a good agitating for a bit in front of the skimmer while in the pool or emptying skimmers.

While that pH is a bit low, it should slowly come up on it's own. For sure, monitor that it doesn't slip any lower but I think you can leave it as is.

From now on, you can assume the CYA dosage you calculated is in there even though it won't show up on the test for another few days.

Your pool will be so crystal clear soon, you will be regretful you used the dirty socks!!:laughblue::laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.