algaecide question

New2Me

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
SW Indiana
I have a box (4-1 gal. bottles) of PoolBrand Algaecide 40 that I bought at Sam's Club last year and never used. It is:
Alkyl (50%C/14, 40%C/12,10%C/16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...40%
Other Ingredients:....60%
Total:...................100%
Is this a linear, or poly quat, or a quat at all? Is it good as a preventative during season, or as a winterizing preventative, or any good at all? If not, how should I dispose of it?
Thanks In Advance!

Re: Bugs that bite! Ouch! Problem/solution! (backswimmers)

I know that the above post probably should have gone elsewhere, I posted in this subject after searching for "Alkyl", and not finding much.

Welcome to TFP!!

It's a linear quat. They can cause bubbles or foam, but that goes away in a few days. If you're not having trouble using it, keep using it until you run out and then switch to a poly-quat for winterizing. Algaecides are really not necessary IF you keep your FC up continually, but can be a nice insurance policy if you happen to miss a dosing or get a huge chlorine demand load in the pool. Chlorine is the best algaecide, but if you fear that your level may fall at some point, using the algaecide is a nice back- up and not overly expensive.

BTW - the stuff you have will sink spiders and floating bugs on the surface of the pool if poured directly on them :twisted: :wink:

Thanks for the info! I figured that it was not a real good product, because it was cheap. I'll make sure to get a good polyquat for winterizing. I'm not surprised, but happy to find out that it takes care of bugs! It smells, leaves bubbles on the surface, and makes the water dull for a while after pouring it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.