Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algaecide question

1. Back To Top    #1

algaecide question

I have a box (4-1 gal. bottles) of PoolBrand Algaecide 40 that I bought at Sam's Club last year and never used. It is:
    Alkyl (50%C/14, 40%C/12,10%C/16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride...40%
    Other Ingredients:....60%
    Total:...................100%
    Is this a linear, or poly quat, or a quat at all? Is it good as a preventative during season, or as a winterizing preventative, or any good at all? If not, how should I dispose of it?
    Thanks In Advance!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bugs that bite! Ouch! Problem/solution! (backswimmers)

I know that the above post probably should have gone elsewhere, I posted in this subject after searching for "Alkyl", and not finding much.
    Aquabots

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: algaecide question

Welcome to TFP!!

It's a linear quat. They can cause bubbles or foam, but that goes away in a few days. If you're not having trouble using it, keep using it until you run out and then switch to a poly-quat for winterizing. Algaecides are really not necessary IF you keep your FC up continually, but can be a nice insurance policy if you happen to miss a dosing or get a huge chlorine demand load in the pool. Chlorine is the best algaecide, but if you fear that your level may fall at some point, using the algaecide is a nice back- up and not overly expensive.

BTW - the stuff you have will sink spiders and floating bugs on the surface of the pool if poured directly on them
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: algaecide question

Thanks for the info! I figured that it was not a real good product, because it was cheap. I'll make sure to get a good polyquat for winterizing. I'm not surprised, but happy to find out that it takes care of bugs! It smells, leaves bubbles on the surface, and makes the water dull for a while after pouring it in.
    Aquabots