Do I need a robot?

May 19, 2014
OC,CA
First post here fellas so go easy. I'm just getting the hang of this pool care hobby. Ive got a big pool, and currently have a suction operated unit which is good for the leaves and such. Does nothing for dust and sand that finds it's way to the bottom of the pool. My budget it not an issue, but, value and function is.

So, the question is, are the robotic units (I'm looking at the Polaris 9550) worth the money? Do they clean significantly better than the old school suction type? I'm not satisfied with what I have now, but, will I be blown away by theses newer robots?

Jason

Maytronics has a very good track record for performance and reliability.
I have read quote a few reviews (before buying my robot), about the Polaris having some quality problems, Hopefully, they have fixed that wheel falling off all the time.

Also as cruzr mentioned, you will need to also buy the fine filter element for the Polaris (optional, but it boggles my mind why it isnt auto included like the maytronics one is).

I've got the much cheaper version of the polaris (don't remember the model number) and love it. I've never had a vacuum style like you have, but putting it on a timer to run for an hour or so a day makes maintenance a breeze. I have an oak and crepe myrtles around, so plenty of stuff falls into the pool.

Just keep an eye on the bag, dump it as necessary and you may never have to vacuum again.

Guys,

I wanted to give you my impressions of my new robot. I ended up buying the Maytronics Dolphin M5.

The good: My impression is the unit us very well made. I was astounded at what was in the filter after just an hour of cleaning. My pool has never looked better.

The neutral: these unit are not smart. It seems to randomly scour the pool bottom following no particular pattern. I suspect this will require more days a week of cleaning

The bad: none so far.

Overall: I got a good deal at $1500 OTD, my pool sparkles and I like watching it work. So, I'm happy.

Thats good news! Love my Dolphin!
It is amazing at all the small stuff it cleans out that you dont even know is there!
I dont think mine is very smart either. There seem to be no rhyme or reason for what it does. Mine does stop regularly though and just sit there for a few seconds, like its thinking, and takes off in some other direction. It makes me wonder what the heck it's doing!

I use mine at least 3 times a week. If it rains or have a windy day, then i chunk it in the water to clean that up too.

I have a Dolphin Supreme M5....and I love it. I bought it refurbished on Ebay last year with a remote and caddy (which saved me hundreds) and it's great. I have never once pulled out my pool hose and vacuumed the pool manually, NEVER. My pool sparkles brilliantly and the chems are perfectly balanced. The vac has a program so you tell it when you want, every day, every other day etc... It came with a large debris filters (good for leaves) but I only keep the micro filters on since we don't see much large debris. Honestly, you should be pulling out the large debris with your net in my opinion and let the vacuum do the granular work. Also, this vac climbs the walls and scrubs the waterline very well, although I scrub manually too once a week. So is it worth it IMO? Heck yeah.

p.s. cleaning this vac is simple. It tells you when the filters need cleaning and you pull them out, hose them off and you're done. Cost pennies to run too because it uses a 24VDC motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I pull mine out after every cleaning and rinse the filters out. I figure what good is it starting out with restricted flow of a partially clogged filter.

I leave mine in during the week and it cleans every other day or whatever program I prefer. Once it's filled/dirty, I clean the filters. This vac tells you when to rinse the filters or I do it once a week for good measure. I usually pull it out on Friday nights since the family uses the pool mostly on the weekends. Throw it back in on Sunday night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.