My head is about to explode!

Medeco

May 24, 2014
Atlanta
Hi guys,

You must get tired of the newbies coming on here, but its awesome to see the help. Ive been lurking, reading as much as I can including pool school.

Brand new vinyl pool with SWG, sand filter, about 35k gallons in size.
Thought I was getting close, then I took my sample into the store to back me up. Im now confused.

Used the pool calculator and added just shy of 2 gallons of Clorox bleach last night. First thing this morning the test showed near perfect FC. Using a Leslie's complete poolcare DPD test kit.

3hrs later tested again and FC is 0, so I took a sample into the store.

Stats:
Water is clear

FC-0
TAC-0
Salt- 3000
CH- 100
CYA- 50
TA- 110
pH-7.6
copper-0
iron-0
Phosphates- 200

Store guy was confused too, when I shared the FC stats and how I added the liquid bleach.

Currently running the SWG on boost, and added 2 lbs of granular chlori-brite.

What do you recommend? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Only 2 things consume FC, the sun or something in the water. With that CYA, the sun is not likely the problem. So, must be something in the water.

So, the SLAM process is likely what is needed. But to do that, you will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test added to your kit.

Post your numbers, not the pool stores which are notoriously inaccurate and inconsistent.

Also, stick with liquid chlorine or you are going to make your CYA higher and have to use higher FC level for the SLAM. You can raise it a bit after the SLAM.

What do you recommend? Thanks!

Trust your own test results.

That test kit you have is the K-2005. They probably sold it to you telling you it was the same as the K-2006. It's not. You're not the first to have that happen to them. The good news is, adding this will bring you up to a K-2006. With the FAS-DPD test (which is not the same as the DPD test) you'll be able to read your chlorine to within .2 parts per million and do an overnight drop test. That will tell you for sure if something is growing and eating your chlorine or not.

Don't dump any more powders in your pool!! That Chlor-brite is Dichlor. MSDS In a pool your size, 2 lbs only added 3.8 FC, but it added 3.5 CYA as well! And lowered pH by about .14. With a SWG, that's not all bad, but if you need to SLAM, that means the chlorine level needs to be even higher!

You have a test kit. Believe it. If you're unsure if you're testing correctly, watch the videos. But trust yourself. The sample is fresh and the kit is accurate. And nobody's trying to push any products on you at home. They don't offer free testing to be neighborly, they do it to generate sales!

attachment.php

exactly what Richard said.

As a FYI, the Pool Store testing as well as their recommendations are notoriously flawed. Trust your test results, if there is a question, do the test again. And ask questions here and you'll get all the help you need.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and enjoy that pool !

Thanks for all the tips. When I bought the kit, I had zeroed in on the Taylor 2005 from the internet simply from ratings more than knowledge, but they only had the 2006, and neither I nor they, knew what it offered that was different from the 2005. Oh well, easy fix.

Should I be concerned about the phosphates level in my OP? Ive yet to read anyone talking about this.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

How does your water look, by the way? How long has the pool been filled? What is your source of fill water (municipal, well, ect...)?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

How does your water look, by the way? How long has the pool been filled? What is your source of fill water (municipal, well, ect...)?

Done!

Water is clear, pool has been filled since April 23, started pump and cleaning 2nd week of May, had fair amount of dirt in the bottom. Water is municipal.

I'll update test stats in the morning. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.