Starting out with the K-1716 kit and some basic questions

Jul 6, 2013
Scotch Plains, NJ
Hi everyone -

I received my K-1716 test kit today and have a few questions. Background on my pool to date is this: I've been fighting algae/ammonia for the last few days and am currently SLAMing.

So my first question is, will the K-1716 results be accurate if I attempt them now? Or do I need to wait for chlorine to be stabilized at a normal number/level prior to attempting it?

Thanks!
Lorraine

Thanks Jason. We did the test but it is registering nothing with iron. I most definitely have staining and know that metal products have worked previously, but am now just scratching my head as to what is causing it.

Last year we did a two bottle round of jacks Magic for the vinyl liner pools. Am I okay to do the Jack's stuff during SLAMing? Or should it be done/does it need to be done after? My water is just about clear from the SLAMing process and I want to make sure that I'm finished with that first, but want to have handy what I need to get to the next round. Thanks!

The iron might all be in the stains, rather than in the water. The test only measures what is in the water.

Any work on removing the stains should be left until SLAMing is complete and things have settled down.

The iron might all be in the stains, rather than in the water. The test only measures what is in the water.

Any work on removing the stains should be left until SLAMing is complete and things have settled down.

Jason - thanks again! Is Jacks Magenta stuff okay for me to use on a liner pool? I'm currently collecting what I need so when I'm done SLAming I can get started on that.

Reading the label I believe it is since it says all pool finishes but I really want to confirm before moving ahead when ready. I know Jack makes a vinyl liner option but my place that carries their line doesn't carry it.

We don't recommend Jack's Magenta Stuff. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

I could have sworn the pink stuff said plaster on it - did I misread it? Pink can be used on vinyl too? Is the magenta stuff an issue to use or just potentially less effective than the pink one? If that's the case I'm wondering if I can get the pink to kick start it and use magenta preventatively but I will certainly follow the advice you give!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.