Space Coast, FL
Ph = 7.5
FC = 12.5
CC = 0
TC = 12.5
CH = 625
TA = 150
CYA = 100+

Bought this house about 1.5 years ago. Has been treated weekly by our local pool supply chain prior to moving in and since with chlorine tablets. "Technician" comes every Monday and typically adds new tablets to the chlorine feeder as required, shocks, and tests water for Ph. As I suspected for awhile, CYA levels are extremely high, and I wasn't even able to reach the maximum reading of 100 using my TF-100 test kit.

I am located in central Florida and pool is used almost year round except in the coldest months. It lies on the west side of the house and gets direct sunlight for much of the day.

Additional pool detail located in signature.

Have had issues with in the past with algae growth (brown/yellowish color) that has been handled with shocking and/or algaecide etc.)

Currently, the pool looks as the pictures indicate..........fantastic. However, I would like to take control of its treatment and get away from tabs as the primary source of chlorination.

Looking forward to replies and can provide additional detail if requested.

Thanks!

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, I'm anticipating that. However, our well water is very high in metals and stains quickly as well. Not to mention the flow rate is atrocious......

I have contacted a local bulk water supply company who can up to deliver 6,000 gallons per trip if necessary.

Depending on what your actual cya level is, and there's no telling what it is as is, 6, 000 gals may not be near enough to what it is ultimately going to take. A 6,000 gal drain just "may" get you closer to a realistic level, but no guarantee on that! Hope tor the best! First order of business is to stop using trichlor tabs and dichlor shock. If you don't, you will never get your pool under control. Read all you can of pool school, maybe several times! Order an adequate test kit-- a tf-100 or taylor k-2006, either can be found@ tftestkits.net. post your results here when you have them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I did the diluted test 3 times.

Each time I stopped at 100 CYA, so that means I have 200 CYA in my pool.............no wonder it has been taking so much chlorine to keep it healthy. Talk about the law of diminishing returns.....

OK, so obviously the CYA needs to be corrected before I can really proceed very far, which means:
- Near complete drain/fill. Based on quotes I've received, this will cost approx. $700 based on the size of my pool.
- Reverse osmosis. This is the first I've heard of this option, so I will have to call around and find out who might provide that service.

Am I correct in assuming that I can't do much until I get acceptable CYA levels?

Near complete drain/fill. Based on quotes I've received, this will cost approx. $700 based on the size of my pool.
?????

Why not just do several partial drain/refills?

In FL, I assume your water costs are less than 8/1000 gallons so that should be less than $100 bucks unless I am missing something.

Dave he is on well water with metals.

I doubt you will find an RO treatment option in FL, they are mostly marketed to the high CH regions of the country like the southwest, CYA reduction is a secondary effect for most of their customers. As to water check with your local volunteer fire departments in some areas they will deliver water for a small donation.

Ike

As I've said, I'm on a well water system. Not only is our well water very high in metals (hence our softener), but the flow-rate would require I run my pumps nearly round the clock for a week to get the pool drained/refilled.

Bulk water delivery runs for $350/trip at 6,000 gallons each run. They can offload all 6,000 gallons in about 25 minutes.

Well, I did the diluted test 3 times.

Each time I stopped at 100 CYA, so that means I have 200 CYA in my pool.............no wonder it has been taking so much chlorine to keep it healthy. Talk about the law of diminishing returns.....

OK, so obviously the CYA needs to be corrected before I can really proceed very far, which means:
- Near complete drain/fill. Based on quotes I've received, this will cost approx. $700 based on the size of my pool.
- Reverse osmosis. This is the first I've heard of this option, so I will have to call around and find out who might provide that service.

Am I correct in assuming that I can't do much until I get acceptable CYA levels?
That sounds awfully high for water. Also, call the water company. Sometimes they offer a variance to the rates for pool filling, if you set it up in advance. They'll often waive the sewer fee if that's based on water consumption.

And since you're in Florida, you probably don't want to empty it all at once, lest you float the pool. You think you got problems now?

I doubt you will find an RO treatment option in FL, they are mostly marketed to the high CH regions of the country like the southwest, CYA reduction is a secondary effect for most of their customers. As to water check with your local volunteer fire departments in some areas they will deliver water for a small donation.

Ike
Based on the calls I've made I'm already discovering this. Nobody does RO treatments at that scale, just for small applications like tap-water.

I talked to my friend with the local fire department last week. They stopped doing delivery when one of their trucks ran over some guys septic drain-field and crushed it. He sued. They pulled the plug.

That sounds awfully high for water. Also, call the water company. Sometimes they offer a variance to the rates for pool filling, if you set it up in advance. They'll often waive the sewer fee if that's based on water consumption.

And since you're in Florida, you probably don't want to empty it all at once, lest you float the pool. You think you got problems now?

I don't deal with the water company. I have a well/pump and a septic system.

Our house was built in the last 10 years, so the building code calls for a significant amount of fill dirt to bring the foundation about 6-7 feet above original ground level. In other words, my house is built on top of its own personal hilltop. The pool itself is well above the existing water table, but I would take the necessary precautions regardless if I were to go the drain route.

Wow to that video!

Just think, once you learn the TFPC way you'll never have to deal with this again.

Welcome to TFP. Hope you read the articles provided to everyone in pool school. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.