Finally found liquid chlorine, should I?

Jun 4, 2008
Alabama
Hi All again,

Thanks again for all the superb information here. I have learned so much...

Now on to my quandrum... I am still in the shock process trying to defeat algae. My FC is testing about 10 in the morning after bringing it to 23 the night before. My CYA is about 90 which I know is high, but is down from around 140. I have been doing this for a week now and the pool is a pretty blue, but very cloudy. All of my other numbers are in the proper ranges so I assume I need to continue shocking until I lose no more than 1ppm FC overnight.

This makes me add a little more than 5 gallons of 6% bleach each time I shock. I have purchased countless bottles of Ultra bleach from Walmart at $2.54 per 174 oz. The largest problem is purchasing enough of them as well as the location. I live out in the country and Walmart is about a 1 hour detour.

I have found a Water and Pool company that sales 12% liquid chlorine in 55 gallon drums for $140.25. If my math is correct that comes out to $2.55 a gallon versus $3.76 for the same strength of Ultra 6% bleach.

The price is definitely better, but I have reservations about buying that large of a quantity.

1. How will I get it off my truck? Not sure about the weight of it. ~ 450lbs?
2. Where exactly should I store it?
3. Can it go bad or degrade in strength before I use it all?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

Storage is the key, a cool, dry, darker place will help it retains it's strength. 55 gallons is a lot. I know you have been adding alot but it will taper off.....

I have seen 12.5% gallon jugs at my local pool store for as low as $2.50 a jug, so I don't know necessarily that you need to purchase that much to get a good price. Trying to remember where you are located....any other pool suppliers nearby that sell the LQ by the jug? Even 5 gallon jugs?

I am located in Alabama. I do wish someone close by carried liquid chlorine, but I have called every one of them and they do not. They ask me why I am looking for it and that is when I get the chance to tell them about BBB. They are not too keen on it needless to say.

Home Depot, Lowe's, maybe? I've heard they sometimes have the 12%. Maybe you can get 6% at a good price at a closer grocery or where's your nearest Target?

I have a pool that contains approx. 9400 gallons, in the sunlight, and uses approx. 2 cups 6% a day. When your water is clear and balance good, you will be surprised at how little bleach it really takes to maintain. My CYA is about 40, btw.

Check in your local yellow pages of the phone book. I found liquid chlorine at a chemical supply company. Call pressure washing companies and cleaning chemical companies. You might be suprised at what you might find. When I asked my local pool store for liquid chlorine, they thought I was crazy. :-D

Swimgirl said:
Maybe you can get 6% at a good price at a closer grocery or where's your nearest Target?
Ditto. If Walmart is an hour out of your way, check out the price difference at your local grocery store. Even if it cost a little less, it may be worth the time and gas to get it there, at least while your need is so high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we have that two pack of liquid at our walmart too (ohio) but, I found the exact same thing at (single gallons) at Krogers for only $2.69 gal (10%)...and at walmart it was around $6.46 for two 1 gals.

chris

chrisa said:
we have that two pack of liquid at our walmart too (ohio) but, I found the exact same thing at (single gallons) at Krogers for only $2.69 gal (10%)...and at walmart it was around $6.46 for two 1 gals.

chris
I'll have to check my local Walmart and Kroger for this. Can you tell me what section of the store it is located in?

walmart has them on a end section next to the pool supplies...in a plain cardboard type box.

and at kroger it was also on a end section (not main aisle, end side of main aisle) with the summer stuff/toys....I was suprised to see it there (rarely shop there) but, I went back today and got 6 gallons and they look like they might be running low.

I also go to Sam's club and get the 3 pack of big bottles of clorox...think its around $6.40 or so.

chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.