Horseshoe Pipe Repair

Since we can't see where the pipe leads further left or right it's possible the last pipe broke from being over stressed in it's misalignment. This may be a perfectly acceptable solution considering we don't know the conditions further out.

If the leak was at the old 45 degree fitting, there is no easy way to fix it cleanly. You have to cut one pipe back, and then a new 45 won't line up with the other pipe. The existing repair is what follows from someone with less experience dealing with that issue.

The correct way to fix it is by cutting both pipes back further (instead of just one) and using two slip fittings to get the new 45 in the same place as the old. Doing that requires some more digging, rather exact measurements/cutting, three or four hands, and will be tricky to get installed without any flex to get things into place, but will make a better repair.

Depending on the location, that may not have been so easy to make that repair with one 45. Having had to dig to allow enough "flex" to make the joint may have been impossible if he was within 3-4 feet of any concrete that he couldn't get under.....been there done that.

Honestly, he may have done the best he could. Importantly, that horseshoe will have little (and I mean little) affect on the efficiency of your system.

If it is not leaking, I'd give it a thumbs up and cover it up.

My big question is what budget didnyou give him for the repair. Ant expense or as cheap as possible. As others said if it ain't leaking be happy. The restrictions that the repair is putting into the mix isn't that big of a deal.

One way to reduce head loss in a situation where the (4) 90s method is used is to go up one size. For example, if the pipe is 1.5", use (4) 2" 90s instead.

In any case, the current fix should be strong, and not too restrictive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.