Completely New! Planning & Budeting a new IG pool-Have questions..:)

swoody

May 24, 2014
Ocala, Florida
Good Morning All,
I hope you are enjoying your memorial day weekend. I am in the very beginning stages of planning and budgeting to add a pool at our existing home. I live in central Florida. We have alot of lime in our water. I am trying to decide between a concrete pool or a vinyl pool. I know I would like to have a VS pump with a salt system and the cartridge type filter. I also would like to have brick pavers for the pool deck. So my budget side needs to cut back some where! I do not know what size pool yet but I am sure it will be on the smaller to medium size. I have 2 appointments scheduled so far with pool builders and I am gaining knowledge before we meet. Thank you in advance for any insight, advice, etc you may be willing to give me.

Most builders prefer one type of pool over the other, and will probably have their own reasons why one is better than the other. In my opinion, I would avoid a vinyl liner pool if you have high ground water.

Hi !
Welcome to TFP! You certainly came to the right place.

Like zea pointed out, given that you are in FL, you are well advised to determine what level your water table is. Your county extension agent might be able to help you with that or at least point you to someone who can.

Vinyl and Plaster both have their + and -, so do some googling and studying a decide which best suits you. Consider the maintenance of each type as this is probably the most
time consuming task and expense outlay over a long period of time.

After you've met with your PB's report back and let us know what they are offering or if you need any clarification on what does what!

Enjoy!

Good Morning All,
I hope you are enjoying your memorial day weekend. I am in the very beginning stages of planning and budgeting to add a pool at our existing home. I live in central Florida. We have alot of lime in our water. I am trying to decide between a concrete pool or a vinyl pool. I know I would like to have a VS pump with a salt system and the cartridge type filter. I also would like to have brick pavers for the pool deck. So my budget side needs to cut back some where! I do not know what size pool yet but I am sure it will be on the smaller to medium size. I have 2 appointments scheduled so far with pool builders and I am gaining knowledge before we meet. Thank you in advance for any insight, advice, etc you may be willing to give me.

Divin Dave,
Thank you very much for your response. I am meeting with my 1st PB tomorrow (this one has been recommended by a mutual friend). I have been concentrating this weekend on the on shape & design due to our septic system in the backyard. This has been a struggle for me as I am finding it difficult to visualize. Anyways, I will update as the progress continues. Thank you again.

I would suggest the easiest way to trim costs is to avoid too much froo froo- all those rocks, grottos, built in spas, excess automation, etc. You might find a perfectly nice pool and splurge on the pool deck if you avoid all those costly up-sell items. Keep things simple and you'll also avoid some of the confusion of lots of extra pipes, valves, pumps or any device that would be a PITA or costly to fix if it broke down. Consider what you like to do in a pool? Diving requires deep ends for safety. Sports require large shallow areas.
Just my (Yippee) opinion.....

By no stretch of the imagination am I an expert in this area, but there is one thing in your OP that caught my eye:
I also would like to have brick pavers for the pool deck

Do you like your feet -that- hot?

Now I really don't have any alternatives in mind to mention to you but having a pool in Arkansas with stamped concrete around it makes for hot feet here. I have to believe that brick pavers may produce a similar effect in FL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.