New Pool, Don't Know What I'm Doing

May 23, 2014
Trenton, NJ
Hello all. I had a 15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14. Since I didn't have electric hooked up, the water sat untouched in the pool for over a week. Once I got everything running, I put two 3" chlorine tablets in a floater and let it float in the pool. Needless to say, my pool very quickly turned green. I then put one bag of shock in, which seemed to clear up the algae. After 24 hours I put two chlorine tabs back in the floater, however, they barely dissolve after sitting in there for several days. A day later the tests showed that I was back down to 0 chlorine (total and free). The local pool company guy said I should put 2 more bags of shock into it...so that's what I just did. My tests at the pool company before adding the 2 extra bags of shock were:
FAC = 0
TAC = 0
CH = 70
CYA = 0
TA = 80
pH = 7.6
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
TDS = 200
Pho = 100

Like I said, I just added 2 more bags of shock at the recommendation of the local pool company. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be. Thanks for any help.

You have no CYA in the water. CYA is like sunscreen for your chlorine. Without any, all of your Free Chlorine is lost to the sun. Additional, the algae and anything organic left behind are consuming the chlorine. I recommend you go to Pool School, click on the tab at the top right. Read the articles there, like ABC's, the How To's, etc.

In the meantime you can purchase CYA, aka Stablizer/conditioner at the pool store or at Walmart in the pool section. Make sure it's as close to 100% Cyanuric Acid as possible. You can use the PoolMath feature in Pool School to calculate how much stabilizer to add. You put it in a sock, and tie it off by the return so it dissolves there. Keep reading pool school while you tweak the chlorine. You're going to need to use liquid chlorine - not bags of "shock" - do you know what the active ingredient in the shock was?

You can pick up some unscented regular bleach at the same walmart where you can find the stabilizer. We can help you figure out the calculator to determine how much liquid to add to reach a chlorine level - then to see if you are able to maintain it.

I know new pools can be very overwhelming....hang in there - we can help. Welcome!

Hello all. I had a 15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14. Since I didn't have electric hooked up, the water sat untouched in the pool for over a week. Once I got everything running, I put two 3" chlorine tablets in a floater and let it float in the pool. Needless to say, my pool very quickly turned green. I then put one bag of shock in, which seemed to clear up the algae. After 24 hours I put two chlorine tabs back in the floater, however, they barely dissolve after sitting in there for several days. A day later the tests showed that I was back down to 0 chlorine (total and free). The local pool company guy said I should put 2 more bags of shock into it...so that's what I just did. My tests at the pool company before adding the 2 extra bags of shock were:
FAC = 0
TAC = 0
CH = 70
CYA = 0
TA = 80
pH = 7.6
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
TDS = 200
Pho = 100

Like I said, I just added 2 more bags of shock at the recommendation of the local pool company. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes we do...begin to educate yourself. Knowledge will be the sharpest, handiest tool in your kit when it come to pool care. Check out the ABC's to start, and take in the Pool School info as you can absorb it.

Next and as soon as you can, get yourself a good test kit, as it will be essential if you want to control your own pool. It really isn't hard and pretty soon the whole thing will be so easy you won't believe you ever thought it was difficult. A lot to take in at first, but have no worries, all the help an info you need is here. If you are willing to learn, we are willing to help as long as it takes.

Good luck, and let us know how it progresses for you.

Since the tabs and shock were probably trichlor and dichlor you have a bit of a head start on the cya so, until you get your own test kit, you'll unfortunately need to rely on the pool store to hopefully give you an accurate number for your present cya. From there, go to pool math to see how much more you want to add. Do NOT let them talk uou into buying any chemicals from them. All you need to begin with is the bleach and cya.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please read ABCs of pool water chemistry . This will help you understand how to take care of your pool. Chlorine is not an add-once-a-week thing. It is consumed by UV rays, algae, and other organic debris and must be replenished on a regular basis. You should test your FC level daily so you know when it is time to add more.

A good test kit is an investment in your pool and pays for itself in savings at the pool store over and over again. When you are able to conduct your own testing and you learn the basics of pool chemistry, you can avoid the pool store trap of buying hundreds of dollars worth of algeacides or green to clean and other "magic potions" trying to clear a green pool when 9 times out of 10 all you need is chlorine. Read through test kits compared for information on the test kits we recommend.

Welcome! :wave:

The next step is to invest in a proper test kit. Buy it now, take control, never have to visit the pool store except to buy obscure parts or pool toys. There's only two kits we recommend: the Taylor K-2006, which you might be able to find in stock at a pool store, although that's unlikely, and the TF100. The TF100 has more realistic quantities of the reagents. If you buy it now (get the XL since your pool is green) you'll be set for the season.

Step two is to browse the forums, especially the Algae room. You'll see you're not alone. You'll also see that you're one of the fortunate ones who hasn't been sold phosphate remover or algaecides you don't need. The money you saved there will pay for the test kit!

Step three is to read some pool school articles. Stick with the basic ones, how to chlorinate, basic chemistry, dealing with algae.

If you're out and about shopping, pick up a bunch of bleach. If you go by any big box hardware stores, take a look, sometimes they have sales this time of year on "liquid shock" aka pool chlorine. It's the same as bleach, just stronger. You won't get so many funny stares buying ten gallons of that as you will with a cart full of bleach at the grocery store!

Do you have any pool tools? A pole, a brush, a leaf skimmer, a vacuum? You'll be needing them soon.

I know I'm getting awfully free-spending with your money, but these are one-time investments. Brushes wear out, skimmers break, but they're relatively cheap and they'll last at least one season, probably two or three.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.