I know their are threads on this and I have read a few but I am still at a loss

FC 6.4
TC 6.6
CC .2
pH 7.9
TA 104
CYA 60
CH 500

I noticed about a week ago that the water was getting cloudy their is no sign of algy and today it is very cloudy I can just see the bottom of the deep end about 7 Ft. Should I shock or first bring down the pH. The pool has not been used but is open to the elements. The pleasure gauge has been at 0.75 psi and has not changed and it does return to zero

Thanks in advance

With a CH that high, it could be calcium cloudiness.

Your FC/CC doesn't really indicate the need for a slam, but your pH being that close to 8 would allow the ch to start precipitating, giving you that dull cloudy look.

Try lowering your pH to around 7.2, and run your filter for 24 hours. See if that doesn't help.

Suggestion: Put in your signature what type of pool you have…salt or regular, SWG or not etc. so in the future people can better advise you.

If what Charlie said does not work, this is what I'd do.

If this was my pool, I'd first do a large dilution of the pool water with a CH of 500. That's like way high. The highest limit is supposed to be 400. While your adding new water and diluting the pool I'd be brushing the pool also to get any calcium build up off. Once that's done, I'd clean my filter and get all that stuff out of my filter. Then I'd focus of getting my pH to 7.5 - 7.6. But with a high TA of 104 that's going to take awhile. So start tackling the TA 1st by adding MA to where your pH gets to about 7.0 - 7.1 and then aerate to bring up pH to 7.5. Keep doing that process until you have the right pH & TA numbers. This whole process will take several days.

Even though your FC is mid 6's, your Cya of 60 requires a good level of FC all the time. You could simply have let it fall more, or more often than you think.

A 500 Ch is very manageable and probably isn't clouding you up, but if it were my pool I would push the pH down to 7.3-7.5 and make that my target range. It may creep up on you less as your TA get closer to the 80 range.

Bring the FC up to 8-10 for a couple of days or maybe three and see if that helps. Make 7 PPM FC your goal, and never let it go below 5 with that Cya.

I agree it could be both issues - or one or the other - but did you do an overnight test to see if the FC is holding overnight? That would rule out a chlorine issue, perhaps pinpoint the high CH/PH combination as the culprit. Either way if you need to SLAM lowering the PH is necessary anyway. So I'd go ahead and do that first, then adjust your FC as needed, then do an OCLT tonight.

Thanks for the replies.
My pool is regular I will change my sig. The hardness of the water is standard on this island as we are supplied with well water, we are not allowed to use piped water. It has always been 500 ish but not always cloudy. I will lower my pH to 7.3 The fc was at > 12 last Wednesday, I will do a fc check shortly as I have added 4 Ltr liquid chlorine 12% and then do a fc first thing in the morning. The TA recommended levels is 70-90+ I was told that the + meant I could have the TA higher and it was not a problem I have been holding the ta at 100 ish but did not think it was critical I will now bring it down to 80. Thanks again I will report in a couple of days on the results Ta.

Hi all
Just to let you know my pool has cleared well almost. As it was Sunday the yapi markets are closed and I didn't have any pH reducer I had to postpone the dosing until yesterday. The pH today is 7.5 the Fc is 3.4 just put in 3.5 Ltr chlorine. All looking good.

Thanks again for your replies. It does help even if it just confirms ones own thoughts.

TA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.