Sand in pool

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
My sand is about 5 years old.. I am starting to see sand at the bottom of the pool by the returns. I did some searching, and this seems to be related to a cracked lateral correct? I plan to replace the sand this weekend. However, I am not exactly sure what the lateral is or how to replace (or where to even get one for that matter).

Thanks!

Your local pool store should have some laterals. If not they should be able to order some for you. We had one come off our filter shortly after our pool was installed an it ws throwing sand into the pool. From what I saw the pool guy do they are not hard to replace. Its just my understanding and I could be wrong they are very easy to break.
Try looking online as well at Pool Center they had some for $5.00 but I'm not sure what your filter type is.

Good Luck !

A guy here at work changed his sand last weekend (he insists on using Baqua, so he's going to yearly changes), and he had a cracked lateral, I guess. He called it a finger, but I guess there is one tube that goes down to the bottom of the filter, where 'finger-like' tubes spread out. He says that they have a new piece available now where you can buy the whole unit (not just separate 'fingers') and replace the center tube and fingers all in one shot, and the fingers 'fold out' when you put them in the bottom of the filter. He says that's much easier than reaching into the filter to screw them in manually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.