New... Just saying hello. I am about to get started...

Hello all, I am closing on a house this coming Friday that has a 15,000 gallon in ground liner pool. I was totally ignorant about pools and have been doing my homework since we placed an offer on this house. Currently they have a pool boy that keeps it crystal clear and wonderful. The pool boy will service it for the last time on Thursday before we move in so I feel like I will probably start at a good point for a beginner. I have already purchased a Taylor K-2006 based on recommendations I have read here... so I am hoping to keep it going wonderfully.

This is my first experience dealing with a pool in any way. I have read the pool school stuff and I have even printed myself up some cheat sheets. My wife had the pool inspected while I was out of town so I know we have a sand filter and a Pentair Superflo pump. She was also told it had a dispenser for chlorine "pucks". There was also some type of automatic cleaner mechanism hooked up and running she said.

I will know much more about the equipment next Friday and I will post a full rundown... I just wanted to chime in and say Hi and to kind of introduce myself. I am thrilled to know there is a support forum such as this available.

Cloey :p

Welcome to TFP Cloey! Congrats on the K2006 purchase. If you run out of reagents, which you will, you can get them at TFtestkits.net. :goodjob:

Once you get into the house and run your first set of numbers, don't be completely shocked that your CYA is astronomical and your pH and TA may be very low due to puck use. Once you get the test results, post them up with any questions and we'll get you started! :cool:

Pool is crystal clear and I expected my test results to look good... I was a bit surprised by what was low... Chlorine. I could measure none.
I used my K2006 kit and could not get the 10ml of water to turn even the slightest bit pink with 8 scoops of DPD Powder. I found some test strips they had left over at the house. The test strips stayed white for Chlorine showing very low.

It rained like mad here yesterday so i suspect this may be why the chlorine shows to be low.

I have some chlorine pucks here at the house and some packages of "Quick dissolving shock" in 1lb packages. Should I use those or add some liquid chlorine? The pool is 15,000 gallon.

The rest of the results on the test strip are:

Hardness = 250
pH = somewhere between 7.2 and 7.8
Total Alk = 120
Stabilizer = 50

These results are from the strip. I am about to go get the rest of the results with the K2006... I just wanted to go ahead and get the chlorine concern posted.

Update
pH = 7.8
Total Alk = correct at 120
CYA = 100 + (test scale stops at 100 and I was just past the 100 mark)

Oh boy. You need to get some chlorine in your pool. Liquid chlorine only, those pucks and "shock" packages are only going to raise your CYA even higher.
You should really due a dilution test for the CYA to see how high it really is.

Bad news is you really should drain about half of that water and re-fill to get a reasonable CYA to deal with. For CYA=100 you need to keep the chlorine level at 12, min of 7. If you get an algae outbreak, you will need a LOT of chlorine. Shock level =39 yikes.

Your pH is a little high as well, but that might change with replacing some water.

I'd recommend you check pool math, you'll see you need about 1.5 gallons of 12% chlorine to get your chlorine level up.

I added a 121oz jug of 8.25% bleach and let it mix for a few hours yesterday... this brought my FC up to 10.5 the CC was 0.
Kids were dieing to swim so they had a blast. I measured again late last night and FC was 10 CC .5 (the color change to pink for CC was barley noticeable)

I for sure need to get the CYA down by draining some water but we are currently getting so much rain that it will be a few days before i can. I am going to raise the FC to 12 and try to keep it there.

I have a few questions about the equipment and some pics to post... I'll probably make a different post with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can follow my thread as well if you would like some ideas of what you will be doing soon. I had a CYA of 150 when I started correcting the issue. Two partial drains got my CYA down to an ideal 40. Read through it and see if it helps you out at all.

I quickly found it to be cheaper to drain then what I would spend in chlorine to fight the issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.